1333 vs 1600 on Sckt 2011

hey so like the title says i'm looking at the difference between 1333 and 1600 memory for the 2011. a benchmark would be nice but basically my question is using the same amount of memory and a unlocked cpu what would the difference be in real world performance? second, would 1600 give me a overall overclocking room or would it have close to null increase with the unlocked mutli?

It's like $100 difference in cost just for a few more mhz but it's still costly mistake to find out that extra speed has a bigger impact than i thought.

Edited by hornybluecow

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First in benchmarks there is a speed difference that can be measured, however if you just use the PC and do not spend time looking at frame rates or measuring every task with a stopwatch you will never notice the difference. The 1600 will give you more overclocking headroom in most cases but overclocking RAM is seriously overrated. Get RAM that has XMP and let the BIOS control the speed, you will be fine.

XMP hasn't worked for me yet lol. always forced to manually set stuff anyways. but it looks like with all 8 slots filled the x79 defaults to 1333 (in one review). I haven't found any more hard evidence.

I actually had all 8 slots on my Sabertooth X79 populated, but later took half of them out as they were more of a hindrance than a help, haha. Still have 16GB of RAM running 1866 in quad channel, so it's nothing to complain about ;)

I would personally not spend the extra hundred. My RAM (which is 1600) was first clocked at 1066 and it took me a while to realize this. I overclcoked it and guess what: I even kept an eye on FPS in games. nuthin'

they don't have muskin radioactive in 8gb dimms. I guess i should be more clear, i'm looking at 64gb kits (yes i would use all the ram, i already max out 24gb daily) so 8x8gb 1600 is $500 and 1333 is $400~ that's why i was asking.

Maya and Photoshop mainly. It's 90% photoshops fault, my PSD files are 15gb on average because i'm taking gigapan pictures, but past 5 feet i cannot edit them anymore because i run out of ram.

imagine editing HDR gigapixel files...I want to do that and currently cannot.

Edited by hornybluecow

Depending on the app, sometimes performance is better at lower frequencies and tighter timings. I recently tested a lot of memory on the X79 platform.

The GSkill Ripjaw "Z"s were the best modules by far. They overclocked great and had low enough heat spreaders that did not interfere with air cooling....

Here are a few spread sheets so you can see the differences between frequencies and imings. The timings were tightest at each frequency

11111-1.jpg

11112.jpg

11113.jpg

Edited by Drdeath

Awesome just what I need! Im gonna go with 1333 save myself $100

Since a lot of work is CPU bound I don't see a super small jump worth te extra $$$$

Edited by hornybluecow

Depending on the app, sometimes performance is better at lower frequencies and tighter timings. I recently tested a lot of memory on the X79 platform.

The GSkill Ripjaw "Z"s were the best modules by far. They overclocked great and had low enough heat spreaders that did not interfere with air cooling....

Here are a few spread sheets so you can see the differences between frequencies and imings. The timings were tightest at each frequency

11111-1.jpg

11112.jpg

11113.jpg

Those charts reinforce my "memory doesn't matter" attitude. :P. A 5% at most performance difference isn't worth 20-100% more cash...at least not in my eyes.