Old computer case

Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone has worked with a good dremel. I want to cut a window in an old case of mine, it's made outta steel. Don't wanna spend a lot of money maybe around $100. Thanks for the help in advanced.

Here is a good video on how to do it.

Video was useful, thanks for the find =)

El_Capitan, I was actually looking at that one. But I wasn't sure if it would be good to cut through steel or not, though it is only $25. Couldn't hurt to try I guess :dunno:

Video was useful, thanks for the find =)

El_Capitan, I was actually looking at that one. But I wasn't sure if it would be good to cut through steel or not, though it is only $25. Couldn't hurt to try I guess :dunno:

I actually ordered it. I can test it to see when I get it, I doubt it's strong enough, but if it isn't, I guess it'll just be an expensive dog nail trimmer.

I used a basic "no frills" knock off dremel from GMC/Ozito IIRC and it worked great (I still have it) just remember to...

• take your time
  • measure twice cut once
  • always cut on the waste side of the line (you've marked)
  • wear eye protection (those little cutting wheels like to disintegrate)

The power source is what is most important for a power tool. The bigger the better for power and time. The 4.8v cordless drill I have would be useless for the project you are about to begin because it would not be able to cut the complete hole without recharging the battery multiple times. That dremel is more for craft, soft material work, engraving hard material...

The power source is what is most important for a power tool. The bigger the better for power and time. The 4.8v cordless drill I have would be useless for the project you are about to begin because it would not be able to cut the complete hole without recharging the battery multiple times. That dremel is more for craft, soft material work, engraving hard material...

This...I use to have that cordless dremel and you would be looking at a lot of time if you are hoping to cut out a whole window in a steel case. I used it to cut a fan hole in my old Stacker and it took about 3 recharges if I remember correctly. I have a plug in dremel now and it is a world of difference cutting steel.

Ok, so I got the Dremel 7300-N/8 MiniMite 4.8-Volt Cordless Two-Speed Rotary Tool and used a heavy duty cut-off wheel with it, and against plastic, it did well, but I don't think there's enough lasting power and rotational speed to cut metal unless you want to keep taking breaks and recharging. I'd get the Dremel 4000-6/50 120-Volt Variable-Speed Rotary Kit if you wanted to do some real work.

Ok, so I got the Dremel 7300-N/8 MiniMite 4.8-Volt Cordless Two-Speed Rotary Tool and used a heavy duty cut-off wheel with it, and against plastic, it did well, but I don't think there's enough lasting power and rotational speed to cut metal unless you want to keep taking breaks and recharging. I'd get the Dremel 4000-6/50 120-Volt Variable-Speed Rotary Kit if you wanted to do some real work.

Overclock it!

Figure out how many amps the battery pack is, throw some more amps at it for a start and pump another 2 volts into it.

SUPER-DREMEL!

It would take like 5 hours to do it with a dremel or similar rotary tool... you could buy a cheap drill and jigsaw and some ~22TPI metal blades, some sandpaper and half-circle file and get the job done in about 20 minutes or less

I have a full tower steel case and have cut two windows with a drill/jigsaw... I only use my rotary tool for awkward cutting and grinding, not for simple sheet cutting

My windows have square corners and the acrylic is glued on without trim (because I painted the entire case after all the cutting/modding), if you wanted to do rounded corners, you could leave that part for the dremel if you couldn't turn sharp enough with the jigsaw...