Nyt's WC Project Volturnus

Nyt

Hey guys ,

So last week an idea came into my head and I started thinking about building up a second rig with full custom watercooling . So I decided this would be my project .

So I firstly started planning it . I decided on the name Volturnus because its the name of a roman river god so I thought River = Water ? Well close enough so thats its name .

And then I started planning the specs . This rig is going to be built up of mainly second hand parts to add more fun to it .

CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 (Bought) but I found my old Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz and am using that instead

Motherboard : MSI G41M-P26 (Bought)

RAM : 2x2gb Kingston DDR3 1333mhz Value Ram (Bought)

GPU : Onboard for now (Bought and maybe 8800gt later)

PSU : Cooler Master Real Power Pro 600w (Bought)

Case : Cooler Master Elite 430 (Bought)

HDD : Seagate Barracuda 500gb (Bought)

Cooler : Cooler Master Vertex Plus ( Bought , just until I get wc stuff later on )

Water Cooling and accesories :

Theme : Blue

CPU Block : D-Tek Fuzion v1 ( Bought )

GPU Block : Anything decent for a 8800gt

Pump : Anything decent

Rad : Swiftech MCR220 Quiet Power 240mm rad (Ordered)

Res : Swiftech Micro Res or any single bay res

Cathode : Blue cathode

Fans : So far 2x1800rpm Corsair's and a 1800rpm Akasa multi color fan and the some blue LED fans

Fan Controller : Anything decent

Coolant : Primochill Blue

I am slowly building this up so it will take time ...

I will update when I get new parts.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One question. I know its cool to have an extra rig and all.... but why not wc your current rig? Save space and power.(as i assume a 16 yp will not be needing more than 1 pc at a time)

as long as he uses if for folding I dont see a problem, his dad is paying for it all anyways. But I do agree that it makes more sense to WC your main rig, not the 2ndary rig

I'd suggest not using any colored coolant - use colored tubing instead. It's not worth the headaches for colored fluid of any type.

Distilled water + a silver coil is all you really need.

Also - be careful what radiator you choose. Some need VERY high static pressure fans (or very high speed fans) to flow well. Generic blue LED fans won't work with radiators designed for high speed fans.

Edited by Waco

One question. I know its cool to have an extra rig and all.... but why not wc your current rig? Save space and power.(as i assume a 16 yp will not be needing more than 1 pc at a time)

I knew this question would come up . You're right I wont need another rig but I want to prototype watercooling , Im getting parts locally and they are not top end parts suitable for my main rig. If I like watercooling then I will custom import all the best parts for my main rig.

as long as he uses if for folding I dont see a problem, his dad is paying for it all anyways.

Im going to be using it for folding hence why it must be super quiet .

I'd suggest not using any colored coolant - use colored tubing instead. It's not worth the headaches for colored fluid of any type.

Also - be careful what radiator you choose. Some need VERY high static pressure fans (or very high speed fans) to flow well. Generic blue LED fans won't work with radiators designed for high speed fans.

Im trying to find the parts for this rig in my country and there isn't much choice available. There is no availability of kill coils . Only blue and clear coolant . I'll cope with the headaches

For radiators I was thinking of either this : http://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/9098401/Danger+Den+Black+Ice+GT+Stealth+240+Radiator/

Or this : http://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/9090184/Swiftech+MCR220+Quiet+Power+Stackable+Dual+120mm+Radiator/

For fans I want going to try find some around 1500rpm or so .

:withstupid: This can't be said enough :biggrin:

If this;

I knew this question would come up . You're right I wont need another rig but I want to prototype watercooling , Im getting parts locally and they are not top end parts suitable for my main rig. If I like watercooling then I will custom import all the best parts for my main rig.

and this;

Im going to be using it for folding

Why bother with coloring at all? Its not like its going to be your fancy show off rig.