Nyt's WC Project Volturnus

Nyt

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I am against colored fluid, is it makes flushing your loop and all the components, esp the rad, that much harder! That colored crap gets into everything. I used it on my very first loop, and it took me some time to get it all out of the inside of all the components when I re-did the loop. People told me at 1st to not use it, but I didn't listen! I just always have to learn the hard way ;) That was when I decided, never again, and distilled water from here on out! So my point really comes down to maintenence. If you plan on flushing your loop, like I do about every 6 months, then trust me....stay away from colored fluid of any kind. You will find out the hard way about cleaning it all out of the inside of your WC components :cheers:

Also Nyt, if you can't find the silver coil over in S Africa, you could always ask an OCC member to ship one to you. Would prob run about $30 US dollars with everything! But, think of it this way, you will spend how much on the antimicrobial dye? How much would that be in a year or 2 after a few flushes? One Silver Coil for $30 and all you would ever have to buy is cheap distilled water to maintain your loop :biggrin: With the other stuff you will have to keep buying it everytime you need more liquid! In the long run, IMHO I think the dye would not only cost you much more, but also create more headaches.

Using the colored fluid is a personal choice and it does work. Its just there are some coolants as they are called out there that separate and break down when used. Im just pointing out my experience. When I pulled the loop down to move her to the 920 rig a year ago the blocks were pristine on the inside. THat may have been because of the prep work I did initially or just plain dumb luck. Many folks do not like coolants or colored fluids but this stuff has been great in the past 2.5 years. FluidXP+ EXT

• 1 month later...

Ok well it seemed Project Volturnus was going to come to a shuddering halt but then after I sorted out some problems in my life I am starting it up again .

This week I'll be receiving a MSI G41M-P26 motherboard

And early next week I'll be receiving an Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 cpu

It slowly getting there ... I've also decided that after the watercooling prototype is a success , this will be transformed into a nearly once-off prototype LN2 and Dry Ice benching rig

Im a little more excited about going sub-zero than wc :P

Why are you buying Core2 stuff? Aren't they quite overpriced?

So is this alongside your 920 rig or in place of?

The Core 2 Duo is very cheap by me since Im getting the cpu second-hand and mobo from the stores .

Its only $37 for the E6550 and $71 for the mobo which is very cheap in South Africa the land of overpriced goods :lol:

Just alongside the i7 , its not replacing it . I was thinking of getting two 560's and sell my 580 but I decided to wait until 32nm gpu's and Bulldozer or Ivy Bridge until I do a big upgrade.

So instead of upgrading my main rig , I decided to to work on Volturnus and buy a pet rabbit :P

Ok so I got the bulk of my parts to get it up and running :

Pics are attached

I got the Cooler Master Vortex Plus (until full WC)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550

Samsung 22x DVD writer

Seagate Barracuda 500gb drive

2x2gb Kingston 1333mhz Value Ram

MSI G41M-P26 mobo

Cooler Master Real Power Pro 600 watt (forgot to take pic)

Cooler Master Elite 430 Black

And I used some spare fans as cooling , the two Corsair 1800rpm fans that came on my H70 and a spare Akasa multi color fan.

So what do you guys think so far ?

• 1 month later...

Looks cool,btw a question-Why do you address yourself as a third person in the tittle of the thread?

Because I sound more awesome :cool2: And people would know its my project .

It doesnt have the same affect as "My WC Project" It sounds better as "Nyt's WC Project Volturnus"

As for pump wise Dan , I think I'll get whatever comes my way . Dunno whats available locally atm