Guide To Smp Folding With Linux In Vmware

CheeseMan42

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually add the -advmethods attribute aswell to the command, ie ./fah6 -smp -advmethods as that will bring you work units for the SMP GROMACS CVS core which is newer and faster.

You can and have to set this in the client if you want the a2 cores. A2 cores are only available if 4 or more cores are detected but will run on 2 which will get you even more PPD. I am not sure if it will work with Linux in VMware but if you have a Quad and run Native Linux this is the way to go. On a Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz running dual SMP clients for instance the WU 2674 in getting 3600 ppd, so your looking at around 7200 ppd. The A2s are only available in Linux, so do not look for them in Windows, they cant get windows to run them I think it overloads it or something...

screenshotwd7.pngscreenshot1sj3.pngscreenshot2nz5.png20090122080216rf7.jpg

Very nice guide, I especially like the pictures! Thanks for putting one like this together, it will certainly help new folders :)

Maybe I am missing it somehow, but have you also described how to run it in the "DOS-like" mode as we were speaking about in the other thread? It gives a couple more PPD as well :)

Very nice guide, I especially like the pictures! Thanks for putting one like this together, it will certainly help new folders :)

Maybe I am missing it somehow, but have you also described how to run it in the "DOS-like" mode as we were speaking about in the other thread? It gives a couple more PPD as well :)

I honestly don't remember what the key combination for that is. I believe there is an option at the login screen to do it.

Great guide like I said earlier. I'm almost all done with getting the Linux SMP up and running on my Q9450. For some reason, I couldn't get VMware Server 2 to work, but I got VMware Server 1.something to work.

road-runner, how do you get FAHMon to monitor your Linux SMP production. I'm curious how to monitor my 2 VMware clients and my GPU2 clients all on the same rig...

Great guide like I said earlier. I'm almost all done with getting the Linux SMP up and running on my Q9450. For some reason, I couldn't get VMware Server 2 to work, but I got VMware Server 1.something to work.

road-runner, how do you get FAHMon to monitor your Linux SMP production. I'm curious how to monitor my 2 VMware clients and my GPU2 clients all on the same rig...

See my second post about setting up Samba. This will allow you to do exactly that. I've got FAHMon checking my 2 SMP clients and my 4850.

I use this guide... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605

My little blurb on Samba is basically the same thing in much less steps. If you want to follow that guide it would work just the same. I just tried to cut down on some of the steps.

Well this is what I have been using for the last couple years before your guide... :)

All that is left to do now is to point your choice monitoring program to this directory and you are good to go.

Where is this directory? I've looked under my Virtual Machines folder and there's no folders. I've looked on the network and there's no folders there either. Am I not looking in the right places, or did I set up Samba wrong?