CheeseMan42

Guide To Smp Folding With Linux In Vmware

As far as the unit deadline passed, it should give you a new WU automatically, at least it does for me. What directory is not found? It may have something to do with where you are executing the command.

When I type ./fah6 into a terminal, all I get is this:

bash: ./fah6: No such file or directory.

Did you follow Cheese's directions exactly? Is this in a new terminal? If it's a new terminal, you need to change to the directory you installed [email protected] in. Use "cd [directory name]" to change to that directory. Then type "./fah6" once you've changed directories.

Did you follow Cheese's directions exactly? Is this in a new terminal? If it's a new terminal, you need to change to the directory you installed [email protected] in. Use "cd [directory name]" to change to that directory. Then type "./fah6" once you've changed directories.

Exactly. Type ls when you open the terminal. If fah6 doesn't show up then you are in the wrong directory.

Ok that worked. Do I need to type "cd Folding .." everytime before I type "./fah6"? When I was using 8.10 I didn't need to type that I don't think.

Anyways, it's working now.

Ok that worked. Do I need to type "cd Folding .." everytime before I type "./fah6"? When I was using 8.10 I didn't need to type that I don't think.

Anyways, it's working now.

You would need to do that no matter what version you are running. You may have installed it to a different directory or used a different script to start it.

Cheese, is that wget http://..... line the same even for the new version they released? And do you know if the new drop-in is included in the downloads now?

Cheese, is that wget http://..... line the same even for the new version they released? And do you know if the new drop-in is included in the downloads now?

When I got the drop in, it was either that or the fact that the servers had gone down one morning that messed up my clients. I decided to just remove everything and start over. I haven't had any problems with my clients since doing that so I'm guessing the new drop in was included. I used the wget command, so that should still work.

A quick tip for setting up many virtual machines.

Once you finish setting the first one, do the long updates. Then, copy the virtual machine directory and change its name. Next, open it up using VMWare, go in its options, edit its name to the new one, and also change its directory for the new one. That did the trick for me, it prevented me of setting it up four times. (i7 :P)

One question though:

When I start up the client, if I use the -smp flag, it won't be able to get work. It says: "Attempt #X to get work failed." As soon as I restart it without the flag, it's fine. Also, If I start it without any flag, then I exit it and I restart it with the -smp flag, I get a file _IO_error.

Does anyone have any idea why? BTW yes the number of processors per virtual machine is set to 2. :P

Thanks

Edit: would that be as much performant if I used 8 virtual machines and no -smp ?

Edited by The Smith

A quick tip for setting up many virtual machines.

Once you finish setting the first one, do the long updates. Then, copy the virtual machine directory and change its name. Next, open it up using VMWare, go in its options, edit its name to the new one, and also change its directory for the new one. That did the trick for me, it prevented me of setting it up four times. (i7 :P)

One question though:

When I start up the client, if I use the -smp flag, it won't be able to get work. It says: "Attempt #X to get work failed." As soon as I restart it without the flag, it's fine. Also, If I start it without any flag, then I exit it and I restart it with the -smp flag, I get a file _IO_error.

Does anyone have any idea why? BTW yes the number of processors per virtual machine is set to 2. :P

Thanks

Edit: would that be as much performant if I used 8 virtual machines and no -smp ?

SMP blows single client performance out of the water. One thing that I'm thinking of since you just copied the virtual machines is that the folding server thinks they are all the same machine, did you give the clients different machine ID's? Did you change the hostname on each of the virtual machines? Not sure if that is necessary, but I do it for monitoring.

Yes I changed the client's IDs.

I was getting this problem on the first virtual machine before copying it...

I know when I started mine without the smp flag and then added the flag I got an error also, I just deleted the que.dat and all the files in the work folder and started it back up and it worked fine...

I know when I started mine without the smp flag and then added the flag I got an error also, I just deleted the que.dat and all the files in the work folder and started it back up and it worked fine...

Yay that worked!!! I had tried deleting the work file before asking, but I didn't delete the queue.dat... :) Thanks