PS3 Price Cut $100 on July 15th

WhenKittensATK

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7946

Have my dreams finally come true sooner than expected or is this just some kind of sick joke. I wanna buy it so bad, but it will put me down to about $100 in my account :(. Gotta fight the urge of a buying frenzy. Its gonna leave me broke. Just bought an HDCP setup, its so tempting.

Lets not forget the 5 F-R-E-E BLU-RAY movies you get with any purchase of a Blu-ray player which includes a PS3.

Yea, I gotta admit those movies aren't that great. Well here is a movie that will get you all excited for the Blu-ray. "300" July 31

Price cut: Checked

Rumble: Working its way back

Quality Games: Many coming this fall and winter.

No clue if these games are PS3 exclusive but it doesn't really matter to me. Going by Gamestop's release dates. They are usually up-to-date with them.

Stranglehold, Lair, G.R.A.W. 2, Dynasty Warriors Gundam (LMAO, DW fan and a fan of some Gundam), Warhawk, Coded Arms Assault, Heavenly Sword, and BlackSite: Area 51.

These are the games for the next 2 months. Didn't add any sports games cause I don't play them and got no clue what are good in that gerne so I just stayed out of their way.

Edited by Krazyxazn

It seems like it probably is coming. With how the PS3 has been selling it is something Sony probably needed to do, especially considering they have a standalone Blu-ray player available for $499 (which gives those just interested in watching movies no real reason to get a PS3).

And your topic gets a read link from the front page - http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/20853/ :)

It looks like the rumors of price cuts are getting very official. I'm just curious how much of a difference it will make. $500 still makes it the most expensive console on the shelf, and it still suffers from a substantial lack of games. The Blu-Ray capabilities are great, but I still think that a vast majority has little interest in HD-DVD / Blu-Ray.

I was going to buy it, but I was talked out of it since college expenses are more important than video games. It still is a good deal though. Sony is giving everything they got for a chance to boost sales.

Edited by Krazyxazn

It looks like the rumors of price cuts are getting very official. I'm just curious how much of a difference it will make. $500 still makes it the most expensive console on the shelf, and it still suffers from a substantial lack of games. The Blu-Ray capabilities are great, but I still think that a vast majority has little interest in HD-DVD / Blu-Ray.

$500 with an extra controller and 5 Blu-Ray movies makes it pretty competitive, IMO (that's probably an extra $100-150 value). There are some decent movies to choose from in the applicable list; if people don't already own them in DVD format, it could be worthwhile. I've never watched a movie in HD to know how much of a difference it is; the difference in HDTV and SDTV is huge though.

I'd get one if I was into console gaming anymore, but I'm not. I like being able to watch TV while playing games, which PC Gaming allows me to do (without having to stick a second TV in my room. lol)

$500 with an extra controller and 5 Blu-Ray movies makes it pretty competitive, IMO (that's probably an extra $100-150 value).

You'll get no argument from me there. PS3 has always been worth more (technology wise) than its price tag. With this cut, that just becomes even more true. The problem is that the vast majority doesn't have a strong interest in its features, regardless of their monetary value. I'd equate it to a $1200 suit on sale for $800. That's a great deal, but I'm still not buying an $800 suit. :) Uptake of HD video has been very slow, and doesn't show any strong signs of changing. Last time I checked, the total HD media sales across both schools was still less than the sales of some of the top DVD single titles. The demand simply doesn't exist for the technology yet, at least not outside the techie-sphere.

Sure, the $100 cut will sell a few more to the movie crowd, but let's face it, with the costs of single Blu-Ray titles, players and HDTVs, $100 is a pretty small piece of the HD-experience investment. If you wanted a stand-alone at $500, you probably were willing to buy it at $600.

The price cuts, IMO, are targeted at the at the console buyers, and it's still the most expensive, and still well beyond the realm of average buyers. The same point could be made about the 360 Elite, but that's the most expensive of three models, which allows them to compete in both the high-end and bargain systems categories (with the core system at $300).

What PS3 needs is some games. There's just no titles that can justify buying a PS3 for gaming. I think Sony's trying to straddle two markets with this thing, and they're effectively missing both in the process.

Sony is taking it up the butt on this one, money-wise. I'll admit, if I were going to buy one of the consoles today, the decision between the xbox elite and the PS3 is a tough one. In the end I would still probably go with an xbox solely because of the game lineup and Xbox Live, but if I were more concerned with hi-def movies, I'd probably side with the PS3.

I bet that not many people actually end up using these consoles with an HDTV anyways. Although I did get a chance to see Gears of War in HD at my friends house and it looks amazing. It obviously comes down to the games. I like the PS3 but it doesn't have any exclusive games I'm even remotely interested in (although that's likely to change in the next 6 months). And those controllers! Those are the same god-awful things that shipped with the Playstation 12 years ago! Why can't Sony pull their heads out of their asses and design a comfortable controller? (like the 360 :D)