Wow, thanks for all the wealth of info! I have decided on the following and here is my rationale:
- CPU: I already ordered the CPU (i got a special deal from an Intel friend who got it to me for 495 bucks, smokin'!) - I plan on massively overclocking it, so hopefully, it should be around what I need for this purpose. I have heard from a lot of people in this field that they prefer higher clocks over xenon type cpus for rendering.. I don't know what the true verdict is, but I'll go with the higher clock speed option.
- RAM: Ok, since every suggests that its pointless going with a DDR1866, i'll go with the 1600 option at higher capacity (64gb)
- Video card: I have to stick with NVidia as the mercury engine supports only nvidia cards. I'm doing editing/rendering only, nothing with 3d so I don't see a need for Quadro cards.
- Raid: Raid 6 is whats now being recommended, ill check it out.
- Storage: i've decided not to house my storage solution IN the computer. I am looking at something like this now: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816133047 with a pci-e raid controller card like LSi.
- Someone asked what SSD i'm running, I have a 480gb Kingston V200 SSD that Kingston gave to me for free (they're a sponsor )
- Case i've decided to go with is: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811119225
- I will rethink the PSU solution and go with the recommended brands here. And since i'm not powering 9 drives internally anymore, ill go with a more reasonable 700-800 watt solution.
Thanks for all the help guys, i'll post back once the build begins, but please feel free to add suggestions. Feedback highly appreciated