Best Headphones?

Pcjds2

I was wondering what the bet headphones for deep bass, yet crisp vocals would be. I would also like them to be reasonably priced, no more than 400-500$. I was really hoping some of the experts could help here. It's not fun blowing money on expensive headphones, just to see which Inez's the best.

Thanks in advanced!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Audio Technica M50s. They are by far the best studio quality headphones one the planet imo. And they're only around $100-$150

No offense, but that is not correct. They might be the best for the price, but they are not the best. 

@ OP: If you do not mind buying used gear, I would look at picking up the hifiman HE-400 and the schiit magni/mod for 500, OR try you luck at finding some stax lamdas with the amp on ebay. 

sennheiser is alwas the way to go with headphones for me, they never have dissapointed me and are always of good quality.

Some used HD 600s and a magni/modi combo isn't bad either. I prefer the HE-400s since they are a bit less harsh on the ear (they move less air), but they aren't a bad choice if you can find a good price. 

sennheiser is alwas the way to go with headphones for me, they never have dissapointed me and are always of good quality.

They're decent but a bit overrated.

I tend to agree and disagree at the same time. I think the headphones are good, but the are generally over priced and over hyped. If you can find them for a decent price in decent condition used, they aren't bad what so ever. 

The big issue is that they don't reflect the audio gear you are using. To me they have decent sound, but it is a bit anemic, light sounding, and sometimes can be a bit bright especially when compared to the HE-400s. 

Another option if the OP wants a bit more accentuation in the bass would be the DT990 600ohms headphone, but I do not like the smaller sound stage compared to something like the audio technica ad900x.  

I have the ATH-M50's and just bought the AKG q701 and they don't even compare. Q701 is better in every way. If you are looking for some great open cans go for them. You might want to buy a good amp to use them though. I just use my asus xonar STX with a built in amp and it is plenty to power them. At the moment I am using a Fiios e6 to power them when mobile though and that sounds decent. But nothing compares to FLAC audio at the desktop. Btw q701 work great for video games too because they have a huge sound stage.

EDIT: I do recommend that ATH-M50s though. They're great for their price. 

Edited by stackrainer

I have the ATH-M50's and just bought the AKG q701 and they don't even compare. Q701 is better in every way. If you are looking for some great open cans go for them. You might want to buy a good amp to use them though. I just use my asus xonar STX with a built in amp and it is plenty to power them. At the moment I am using a Fiios e6 to power them when mobile though and that sounds decent. But nothing compares to FLAC audio at the desktop. Btw q701 work great for video games too because they have a huge sound stage.

Wow, you have the exact same setup as my old setup. I too love the Q701s, but I do not think they have the right amount of bass for the OP. 

Wow, you have the exact same setup as my old setup. I too love the Q701s, but I do not think they have the right amount of bass for the OP. 

What headphones are you using now?

What headphones are you using now?

Still the Q701s. What changed is the amp. I now has a custom vacuum tube amp and I shall soon have the jolida FX tube DAC. The Q701 actually responds VERY well with vacuum tubes. 

Later on I will sell all of it and get some stax Sr-007s