Overclocking Intel Core i7 975@ 3.33 ghz

does any1 know how to overclock the Core i7 975 my motherboard is ASUS WITH X58 CHIPSET, MODEL: P6T SE

it does come with its own software to do it. but i heard doing it from the BIOS is more effective. anyone has any feedback on this?

does any1 know how to overclock the Core i7 975 my motherboard is ASUS WITH X58 CHIPSET, MODEL: P6T SE

it does come with its own software to do it. but i heard doing it from the BIOS is more effective. anyone has any feedback on this?

You should google this. The equipment you're using had almost unlimited amounts of guides created since 2007/8 on it that a quick Google search should give you the info you need.

This video might get you started.

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Overclock-a-Socket-1366-247439870

Edited by jackbrennan2008

Check out this guide. It a good one and it will get you started. And for a beginner its essential that you read up and get everything going. We at occ have a great community built guide pined at overclocking and cooling. Check that out and the guide below and that should get you started. Just let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

http://www.overclock.net/t/538439/guide-to-overclocking-the-core-i7-920-or-930-to-4-0ghz

• 2 years later...

I just got my Core i7 975 Extreme Edition even more extreme with a stable overclock @ 4.2GHz. Below are the pertinent settings in my BIOS...

BLCK = 150

PCIE = 100

CPU Ratio = 28

QPI = 7.200GT (I had to set this higher in my BIOS than it actually is. Windows see's it @ 6.4GT, which it stock.)

DRAM = 750MHz DDR3 1500 (stock is DDR3 1600 @ 9-9-9-27. DDR3 1500 is @ 8-9-9-26.)

CPU Voltage = Overdrive Offset @ 0.12500V

VTT Voltage = 1.340V

CPU PLL Voltage = 1.90V

Intel Speedstep & C-State are both Disabled.

By a stable overclock, I mean that Intel BurnTest completed a `Very High` stress test ten times. It took a couple of days making adjustments to be able to do that. I haven't tried Prime95 just yet, but I'm confident that won't be a problem either.

I hope my comment here on the forums helps people get their Core i7 975 overclocked.

Thanks for reading!

~ If it works, don't fix it. What? Naa.. If it works, tweak it! ~

Edited by big_albert

• 2 weeks later...

Not bad! My 980X is only a 4.3Ghz chip! 

And mine is only a 4.2GHz chip...

By that rationale I would say he is in the ballpark! :)

I made mine do 4.40 for a while... Just a while. Not worth the heat at all. lol, wish I still had the cpu-z snippet.

Also posted and attempted to run 3dmark at 5ghz using the Ice bucket trick

I made mine do 4.40 for a while... Just a while. Not worth the heat at all. lol, wish I still had the cpu-z snippet.

Also posted and attempted to run 3dmark at 5ghz using the Ice bucket trick

My 920 was able to do 4.2ghz for about a year but then I cranked it down to 3.8ghz to lessen the heat lol. It was a champ though, until I bought that new memory :doh: