The Great Debate: TN vs IPS

VaporX

Okay folks you hear this debated all the time, well I am in luck. I have in front of me and next to me an IPS and a TN panel, both 27". The reasoning I hear all the time is that an IPS does a better job at color reproduction. What I am looking for is a picture or two that really show this difference. If you have such a picture please post it so I can look at the results myself to see if the difference is as huge as people say. Right now to be honest I am having trouble seeing this supposed difference and I am wondering if it is because of the pictures I have chosen off the internet.

Could be the pictures or it could be the qualities of the panels.  Perhaps a high end TN vs a low end IPS?  Or maybe it needs to be calibrated?  The difference between my old 22" TN monitors and my 30" IPS is huge.

Well I have the same brand IPS and TN sitting here next to each other and would love something that will definitively show the difference. A picture in raw format that will show the color reproduction capabilities over the TN limitations.

Okay guys I appreciate the side angles and that is easy to test. I am looking for something thought to show the color reproduction. The pictures I have are all JPGs and I see color banding on both monitors so I figure it is the picture. I am looking for something that really shows the color reproduction difference.

^ I can't remember any perfect picture to show the difference between color depth, but to see the difference between black color between these two, you just have to set a completely back picture as wallpaper and take the monitors in a completely dark room. IPS will be completely dark, whereas the TN panel would be whitish (semi) dark.

^ I can't remember any perfect picture to show the difference between color depth, but to see the difference between black color between these two, you just have to set a completely back picture as wallpaper and take the monitors in a completely dark room. IPS will be completely dark, whereas the TN panel would be whitish (semi) dark.

TN vs IPS doesn't matter much in terms of black levels AFAIK.

^ I posted that example as I can't remember the way in which color-depth between those 2 panels can be measured or at-least be understood. :-(

Edited by d6bmg

there is no debate . ips has better color accuracy and nowadays they are as fast as TN in refresh rate . but beware TN is going away and e-ips is showing up and they aren't any better than TN

generally if you put to next to eachother you won't see a real difference . once you calibrate the mointor you will find the TN panel can't get close.

you wil never find a TN panel to support Wide-RGB and 99% consumer monitors with TN and IPS only support sRGB so that's not my ague ment . IPS just has better ways to display colors than TN even in sRGB mode .

edit: hmm Its hard to find a picture on the web because usually everything is compressed to RGB range. This may not work but i;ll try. Those picutres are in Wide-RGB but if they lose the icc profile than it looks funny.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg