What would make a decent game server build?

H37

Just curious for now... Although maybe in the next 6months I'll be serious and ready to build it.

What specs would the PC need to handle a single game at a time w/ 5-50ppl on it.

What price range am I looking at?

Playing games like:

-Minecraft

-Halo/Halo2

-Just Cause 2: Multiplayer Mod

-MW2

-ArmA 2: DayZ

-ArmA 3

-CS, CS:GO

-MoH

-BF2/BF3/BF4

-Etc... (Any other multi-player game recommendations?)

This would be for personal non-commercial use. I know up to 50 people might sound high but It might be used to host the occasional just for fun game night for a forum/clan/group as a private server... Aside from that it would be 12-24max most of the time between friends irl at LAN party's using a 24port switch and this PC as host/server.

Thanks, OCC you always know best! - H37

Edited by H37

The main thing you want to look at with multi-player games is the CPU, the more power it has, the better.

A good graphics card is also important, as well as the RAM you choose.

50 people in a multi-player game isn't all that much and a good overclocked i5 can do the trick just fine.

8gb to 16gb of RAM is advised in my opinion.

Well thats a large list of games. Some are high in bandwidth, low cpu overhead and others are the opposite. Others are old games that really any modern computer can run it.

Minecraft: I don't know

-Halo/Halo2: Any

-Just Cause 2: Multiplayer Mod: I don't know

-MW2: They are dedicated servers you have to rent

-ArmA 2: DayZ: I don't know

-ArmA 3: I don't know

-CS, CS:GO: Any

-MoH: Which one?

-BF2/BF3/BF4: BF3 and 4 have dedicated servers you have to rent

The main thing you want to look at with multi-player games is the CPU, the more power it has, the better.

50 people in a multi-player game isn't all that much and a good overclocked i5 can do the trick just fine.

So basically that pc you just help'd me order all the parts for could host any of these games just fine... and I dont need to build a dedicated server. But would it work almost or just as well if im hosting the server while also playing on the server with the same pc?

Edited by H37

You looking to keep this server at your house or collocate it somewhere? Minecraft and Arma are the two biggies on that list, minecraft alone is very memory hungry and will chew through every bit you give it.

So basically that pc you just help'd me order all the parts for could host any of these games just fine

Pretty much.

On your second question, i don't have an answer for, as i am not that experienced with LAN or anything internet/server related, so i can't help you there. ;_;

You looking to keep this server at your house or collocate it somewhere? Minecraft and Arma are the two biggies on that list, minecraft alone is very memory hungry and will chew through every bit you give it.

At home/LAN party... pretty much wherever im at.

At home/LAN party... pretty much wherever im at.

Well thats a large list of games. Some are high in bandwidth, low cpu overhead and others are the opposite. Others are old games that really any modern computer can run it.

Minecraft: I don't know

-Halo/Halo2: Any

-Just Cause 2: Multiplayer Mod: I don't know

-MW2: They are dedicated servers you have to rent

-ArmA 2: DayZ: I don't know

-ArmA 3: I don't know

-CS, CS:GO: Any

-MoH: Which one?

-BF2/BF3/BF4: BF3 and 4 have dedicated servers you have to rent

Make sure you read through this before making a decision, a number of these games do not have the server files available.

I didn't think of that. it's easy enough to google but I wasnt really helpful anways as the only things I ever hosted was CS and Halo and that was a few years ago.

dont even bother hosting modded minecraft, vanilla is ok but i tired to host FTB for 4 people, and the thing fell on its face, VERY ram hungry, it was a 1050t with 16gb ram and an ssd

i hosted a vanilla server on an old dell, worked like a dream.

as far as modded minecraft, its so much easier to have it hosted somewhere else on something that can handle it, and the reason i dont host vanilla anymore is because it cost next to nothing to rent a server that will run it.