has anyone thought of starting a custom pc business?

fartonmyear

i'm sure thousands have tried. how successful do you think one of these things would be? i was thinking something like ibuypower except sell overclocked ones.

Guest Shibby

Don't know about in the US, but up here, the computer sales market is harsh. Markups are tiny and there are a lot of little stores trying to outcompete each other. It's a really tough market to get into, unless you can work on a high-volume basis (which takes a lot of capital to do).

Also, I'm not sure how happy some manufacturers would be with someone selling overclocked (ie: voided warranty) hardware.

It's a good idea in principle, just look into the logistics of it.

I'm a partner in several IT related business's currently and luckily we've survived most of the recent turmoil's and doing quite well. I'm currently building my new machine as a games machine but also as a demonstrator for a custom PC company I'm looking into setting up.

I'm currently tooling up my workshop to allow whole cutting, and carbon fiber panels, etc for cases. Also setting up deals with local companies to do laser etching and cutting, then we can offer real custom cases :)

Andy

its a business i am trying to get into myself...but as stated above, it requires mucho capitol, thew mark-up is low, and oc'ing does void the warrenty, so unless you are ready to eat the parts if a customer's part dies, i dont think it's a good idea to oc a comp build for someone.

But just doing custom builds ie. gaming rigs is a great idea...imho

Don't know about in the US, but up here, the computer sales market is harsh. Markups are tiny and there are a lot of little stores trying to outcompete each other. It's a really tough market to get into, unless you can work on a high-volume basis (which takes a lot of capital to do).

It's tough in the US too, same story different country ...

A few things to consider ...

What would your competitive edge be? Overclocked systems?

How would you warranty the systems? Be ready to invest additional money for replacement parts as you could end up replacing parts out of pocket (overclocked voided warranties)

If your systems were to sell for more than the competition's systems, what would be the incentive to buy from you?

Who is your target market?

How big is your planned target market area?

Unfortunately, if you can't tap into a niche group that wants the product, you end up fighting against the $250 computer monster.

I usually end up modding a customer's PCs (only one's I build or have built) on a regular basis - about 6x a month on average. Everything from just simply replacing the power/HDD LEDs to a full out, grab the dremel/arc welder/etc, hold on by the seat-of-your pants this is going to get nutz mod where everything - but the motherboard - is altered in one form or another. I have full access to a friend's machine shop which contains various welding equipment, a good working knowledge of various CAD programs and a good business relationship with a plexiglass/woodworking company which makes it all possible.

Yes, it can require a great deal of capital, depending on the scope of modding you want to get into. However, there are several ways of delaying a substantial outlay of money to get started. Here are a couple of ideas I incorporated into my

1. Sub-contract some of the heavier modding out to established, reputable parties. From business to business, many will give you a discount off the normal labor/parts rates and may even trade labor.

2. Nothing beats having a physical sample in front of the customer but sometimes that is not always possible. Using the power of your favorite graphics/CAD program (Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, DesignCAD, AutoCAD etc) you can simulate what a mod will look like when completed. Many case manufacturer's provide an ample amount of pictures detailing their product(s) which can be enhanced to show what a light scheme will look like.

Look around, find resources that may not have been considered as a applicable application to modding systems. You never know, it may just work out to your advantage. ;)

i have my own little custom comp business

the money doesn't come from the computer itself...there's so little markup that you cannot make money from it unless you build in volumes like Dell does.

the money I make comes from the customization and the labor, and the networking ;)

thats what I love about being a tech and networking...it is almost zero overhead, all pure profit from labor

Guest Shibby

Yep, my buddy does exactly the same thing. Started up a computer business as a side project, and quickly learned the harsh realities of the economics of the business. The competition (and resulting lowered markups) is incredibly harsh. The place I buy most of my stuff from only accepts cash...not because they are crooked, but because they need to eliminate all costs from interac/credit card purchases. Works out well for me, but small retailers are starving themselves to death trying to outcompete each other.

My buddy was having a LOT of trouble competing price-wise, so moved into networking/service calls. Essentially sells the components for just above cost, and charges a standard hourly rate for labor. Still cheaper than a 'real' store, as there is no overhead because he is the only employee, but it puts some beer money in his pocket. He also does web design...designers are a dime a dozen these days, so there's not that much work, but again, it's all profit (once he had all of the software).

Essentially, if you want to act as a small business selling computers, I agree with Ace_Goober. You're going to have to find yourself a niche market that sets you apart from the rest of the guys. Custom case modding would be awesome if you have the hookups and know-how.

Essentially sells the components for just above cost, and charges a standard hourly rate for labor.

i dont even do this...I just show the customer on newegg or svc.com the items he wants/needs, and tell him to order them himself and call me when they come in, or I order them right in front of him and have him pay me cash or write me a check.

I don't make a dime on parts...i only charge labor these days and that alone has probably done more for me than anything (they tell their friends/family 'this guy dont even make any money on parts!')

i dont even do this...I just show the customer on newegg or svc.com the items he wants/needs, and tell him to order them himself and call me when they come in, or I order them right in front of him and have him pay me cash or write me a check.

I don't make a dime on parts...i only charge labor these days and that alone has probably done more for me than anything (they tell their friends/family 'this guy dont even make any money on parts!')

Likewise here.