P4 3ghz Temp

Just got a new 2.6 ghz P4 and OC'd to 2.8. Under extreme load it goes above 60c, just a little. I've got an AVC Sunflower heatsink and AS3 thermal paste. With the same cooling setup I was running my 2.26 at 2.66 under 60c. So I'm thinking that the 2.6 is just going to run hot. The question is how hot is O.K., so I thought...

Anybody with a 3Ghz cpu/air cooled running under extreme load for say 5-10-15 minutes, how hot is your core temp (using a program to check, not the thermal probe method if possible, since my thermal probe seems to report cooler temps than the program I use)

Thanks for any info,

Devin

Personally I find anything around 60C too hot for my liking. I currently have watercooling, but prior to that I used a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ and had temps max below 50C. What does the interior of your case look like? Are there cable all over the place or do you have the tied down nicely to allow for better air flow. And how many case fans do you have? Case fans make a huge difference in evacuating the hot air from the case preventing it from being recirculated into the CPU fan and Heatsink. High temps make your system unstable. What voltage are you running for your vcore, you shouldn't need more than 1.5 (default) for that much OC.

Oh yeah, the temp readings from any program are reading the info from your BIOS hardware monitor. Those temps have been known to be inaccurate by as much as 10C in some cases, that is why I always verify temps with a probe, and then adjust the offset in the program to compensate.

Edited by Trash80

Thanks for the info. I'm running 5 case fans and one fan that blows on the video card. I wasn't aware that the programs that report from the bios are off. I'm also running a thermal probe under my cpu. Maybe I better read that instead? It reads 40c idle. I'll turn down my vcore as it was up to 1.575v. The lowest it will go is 1.525 now with this 2.6ghz cpu in. It used to go down to 1.500 with the 2.26 cpu in it. The mobo is an abit IC7. I love the way it oc's, kudos to abit.

Also I put hoses around the wires and use those round ide cables. See my web page if you'ld like at My Webpage. It shows pictures of the inside and stuff.

Thanks,

Devin

Edited by dino-new

Nice system!! I have the Xaser II A6000A case, thats it in my avatar. Yeah definitely go by your thermal probe. If you use Motherboard Monitor you can offset it to read what your thermistor is telling you. I have mine set a couple of degrees higher than my thermistor to account for temp. dissipation from the core to where the thermistor is placed. your wiring is good but could be a bit tidier, if you get some zip ties you could bundle a lot of that together and anchor it to a frame rail. It's all about air flow through the case. You might consider reversing the fan in front of you AGP card to evacuate hot air from around your video card.

heres a pic of my wiring setup. Try to look past the watercooling tubing. Again, very nice system, and temps. between 40 to 50C is very good. :D

Dang! Your system looks nice. The wiring is great! I couldn't seem to get rid of all the wires so I tubed them all up. My temp gets up near 56-58 when under a load at stock timings, but then its about 90F here right now. I'm in California. Maybe it's time to go water cooled. What water cooling are you using?

Thanks again for the info,

Devin

Trash:

Nice system,, looks like you did some custom stuff!!! Kewl!!!!

Dino, your temps are too hot, your CPU has a short life at those temps!!!! Go water or vapor, I don't know water at all, but lots of guys here do, if you want to talk vapor, I can tell you how not to get screwed up like I did....

Dino:

All my watercooling came from www.criticool.com - awesome prices and top quality products. Your temp are definitely on the high side, some can be attributed to the climate in California. I only have some issues with ambient temp getting higher in the summer but with watercooling and my PC in the basement of my house it stays quite cool. In the winter (Clagary, Alberta, Canada) I can OC like a madman by running dryer ducting from a basement window to the front of my rad. (outside temps in the winter can be -20C on average and -30C on occasion.) If you want to pick my brain on watercooling ask away.

Lantom:

I noticed your system specs on another thread earlier today. After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I gotta find out what kind of scores that monster can produce in 3DMark03 and 01 SE. And I hope you dont mind if I pick your brain for my next project requiring some phase change savvy. Case construction is in the design phase, and could use some dimensions for how much room I'll need for the compressor etc.

Heres a pic of my setup with the lights off.

Code buttons,

Thanks, I do want to know about vapor. As I know nothing about it and it sounds great. I figured out my problem. My AS3 layer was a few microns too thick. I thinned it up and now it loads below 60c. around 54c for standard load and 42c for idle. I guess the AS3 layer has got to be just a fog over the chip more or less. I thinned it up so I could just start to see through to the chip. Way better cooling. And now I'm running it at 3.0 ghz from 2.6 at the stock voltage without any glitches so far.

Do you have a picture of your system? What's vapor cooling?

Trash,

I like the neon glow effect. Looks cool. Was it hard to set up the water cooling in your case?

Thanks,

Devin

Edited by dino-new

It really wasn't that tough, a little nerve wraking worrying about putting water in there to start, but now I have total confidence in my setup. The custom rad was a little tricky but you can buy them just like mine prefabbed now.

As far as vapor chilling goes this is it in a nut shell. Imagine taking all the cooling power of a small bar fridge and focusing it on a 1" by 1" surface. Result: way below 0 degrees C under load. I will let Lantom explain in greater detail. :D

Hey Trash:

I actually learned a lot with this bad boy.... Becuase things get so cold you can really press the system and find out what works and what doesn't. I tried 3 differnet MB to get to one that would go to 4.01. One that I got I couldn't get beyond 3.45!!!!!! You won't fit this in a caes, it's got to go under the existing case, it's to big to go inside. They make some nice adaptor kits. Mine is a PC65 case from Lian Li, all aluminum and the cooling is in the same material under the primary case. You can't even tell it's vapor cooled but when you look a the case you know something is up becuase it's so tall. The vapor cooler adds about 10 inches to the vertical. Also thanks for the complements on the system....

Dino:

Vapor cooling is really simple, it's just like a water block only colder!! It users a copper heat sink with a heat disipation gas inside a tube that goes right on to the processor. It's only one line, but the way phase change cooling works hot goes one way and cold goes the other.... Like a heat pump. The pump gets down to -40C but the CPU runs at about -10C. You actually have to seal the entire unit to the MB to avoid having condensation spoil your day.

I've been lazy about posting pictures but I'm pulling it out this week to change a couple of things, I'll shoot some and sent...

Lantom,

O.K. that sounds super. if you have to seal the case up from moister then how do you cool the vid card? Also how much did it cost and what brand did you go with, where did you buy it from. This all sounds so cool, I'm very interesting in going above air cooled.

Thanks again,

Devin

I am actually going to manufacture a case that will accomodate phase change for the CPU and waterchilling for the Northbridge and GPU. I am also looking into ways of watercooling the DDR on the video card as well. The weight of the case empty will likely be under 2 pounds, yet strong enough to stand on. Try and guess how I am going to do it.

Dino: the " heatsink" of the vapor chiller is sealed to the motherboard to prevent moisture in the surrounding air from becoming frost on your CPU, which then melts to water with very negative results. So you don't have to seal the case.