P4 3ghz Temp

Dino: I know I wasn't suppose to ask, but why do you reinstall your OS every week?

I have been having some cooling issues with my AMD Athlon 1900+ I seem to idle at 49 degrees with a ThermalTake Volcano 11! I should be way cooler than that, anyways I read how your AS3 layer was too thick and was wondering exactly how thick, too thick is. I think I am at about 1/4 of a millimeter. I think that might be to thick... thanks if you can help me on this.

Ghost: here's a Link that may be of help to you. It's right off Arctic Silvers website.

Lantom: I suppose that would be close. However carbon fiber would allow me to build an entire case under that weight. I sublet space to an engineering company that manufactures stuff out of carbon fiber, and they are convinced we can do it completely out of carbon fiber, including drive bays, mounting brackets etc. However this is going to take several months to complete, and likely won't really make any physical progress till fall. Till then we have a lot of schematics to come up with. Hopefully by new year it'll be ready.

According to the experts, the toughest thing is going to be making the moulds. Essentially I will have to make a plexiglass case the size of the inside dimensions of what I want. I'm still not sure how to make the mounting bays for the HDD, DVD, CDRW etc., but they say that wont be too tough. They have been making stuff for race cars (mostly Rally, Supertouring etc.) for a few years so I trust they know how. I hope it will be one of a kind as I have never seen it done so far.

Dude the IC7 reads hot, trust me. I"ve worked on 5 rigs w/ 2.4c's and IC7's. My friend and co-founder of Colwell Indistries has a 2.4c running at a lil' over 3 and it reads at mid-high 40's on load and 50-51 on an extreme load. Now he's using the Zalman god-aweful huge hsf (cu hs and 92mm fan) and he has 5 case fans not counting PSU fans. So he has a lot of airflow and all, not to mention we cleaned his wires up mighty purdy. So i know it's not getting as hot as it's saying (sometimes in the mid 50's).

I've been reading on the Abit forums and from what i understand a LOT of people are worried 'bout the temps they are getting. Don't worry, it's probably about 10 degrees ( a lil' less than that) cooler than what it is reading. The IC7 (IC7-G as well) uses a mathamatical equation to determine what the head should be and uses that to determine the heat, it doesn't sensor it directly. However I strongly suggest you go to abit yourself and look for that b/c i only read abit a few times and all of those times were after 3 AM so who knows if what I remember is right. Still the ic7 does read hot.

I've got a 2.6c and a IC7-G coming in along w/ 5 new fans, the huge zalman hsf (copper) and my SB Audigy 2, so i'll see what it sets up as and oc it to 3.2 or so and get all my temps back up to ya if you'd like. I'm a bit more reckless w/ my cpu. I've overclocked 5 so far this summer on the Ic7 and i've had many a horrible noice come out of the board. But...as long as you aren't upping your voltages over 1.75 you're not going to do any damage. Worst case scenario you have to turn your PSU off, pull out your CMOS jumper, reset the BIOS and start again, it's just annoying.

Have fun w/ the OC.

Thespotalian,

Thanks for the scoop on the IC7. I've got the 2.6 and want to run it at 3.2. Let me know what your specs are so I can follow. Also I'm running the AVS Sunflower 2 hs and fan. Is that a good one? I read some reviews and found it was ranked pretty high. The fan speed is pretty high 4300 rpm.

Ghost2520,

I've been re-installing my os weekly due to a bad raid controller from promise. But I got rid of it and got an adaptec and haven't had any trouble yet (crossing my fingers rapidly :O not again please, as I have dual os's 2k and xp) I don't think promises are bad, but just the model I had.

Trash80,

are you going to build that graphite system? Sounds cool.

Lantom,

How much for the cooling,what brand and where to buy, I'm very interested to find out more.

Thanks,

Devin

Dino, hope your raid holds out. I don'y mind formatting every month or two, but it does get a little irritaiting weekly. Yeah, I'm gonna build it, but can't really put the time in right now as it is my busy season. When the snow starts to fall is when I can put more energy to it. :D