Web Server

mandrake

we pay for hardware, some software I guess, but HOSTING?????

I don't think so. I used to make decent $$$ hosting some stuff but mostly offsite storage/backups.

and the 4000gb mark is low. I just did a recount of the space I have and the servers I have here.

Dual MP 2400+ 4gb ddr

12x200gb

2x120gb

dual PIII 800eb 1gb pc133

4x160gb

2x80gb

dual PIII 600eb 1gb pc133

4x120gb

2x80gb

dual PIII 1ghz 1gb pc133

12x200gb (yes MULTIPLE ide raid controllers)

4x120gb

dual opteron 242 (1.6ghz) 8gb ddr

4x200gb

12x300gb

It's good to have family who works for maxtor in the package design department. all of these drives came from there. all they do there is take a brand new, most of the time new model (most are ata133 10k drives), package it in a box. knock it around, plug it into a testing machine, and dispose of them... good or bad. well the good ones have a habbit of making it from North Carolina to Michigan :)

well it looks like the grand total for drive space is 10,560gb... I've only got about 1/10 of it in use right now.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nuthin like a pair of good 'ol cheap-a$$ canadians beggin for hosting, eh tyme?

and bigred, do you think you could use a dns server like dyndns.org to give me a dns to use....an auto-ip-updating app should use much resources with those kik . systems you have.

Edited by mandrake

got 2 more dual cpu systems sitting on the shelf that aren't even in use right now.

dual via c3 933 (yes if you cut pins 216 and 302 they will go smp on via based boards)

512mb pc133

2x120gb

dual PIII 500

512mb PC100

4x80gb

2x40gb

my goal for next week is to convince work that i need them to pay half of the price of a T1 to my house... then I'll be able to make this stuff pay for the other half.

correction, my gf just reminded me of the dual PII 333 sitting in the closet too... 512mb pc66, 4x 36gb u160 drives

Edited by bigred

folding contest?

explain

email? yes. I have the latest version of exchange server ready to roll on 2 of the servers. and I'm trying to get my hands on the version that will go with win2k3 64 bit enterprise edition.

Edited by bigred

okay, I have found a local isp who is willing to setup a T1 line for a low monthly cost of $500. this means static IP, and full 1.5mb up and down load speeds.

They're going to be coming out on monday and checking the equipment here (hopefully my old 10/100 3com 48port router is enough for them), getting the info from ameritech so they can run the line, and go from there. odds are I should be back to hosting within 2 weeks or so.

here comes the way I plan on paying for the T1. You guys. Not by you guys giving me money, or anything like that. Just a little website with testimonials for the paying customers. OCC members will get 100mb of space free (possibly more) and email. I'd also like to setup an email server specifically for OCC so we can all have a standardized email system here.

• 1 month later...
They're going to be coming out on monday and checking the equipment here (hopefully my old 10/100 3com 48port router is enough for them), getting the info from ameritech so they can run the line, and go from there. odds are I should be back to hosting within 2 weeks or so.

2 weeks eh? Umm, have you even gotten the hosting going yet? :lol: