Need X2 help

Putting aside the rma of my ram for a moment I'm starting to think something is wrong with my x2. It crashs everytime I try to utilize both cores. Am I doing something wrong or is it the chip?

i dont see bios version of your board in your sig...kinda need to have that info in there so i can see if you have proper bios for X2 support

also...did you load windows fresh or just pop in the new X2 on an existing windows load? (windows loaded on a single cpu sets uniprocessor, and if you install a second cpu or logical cpu, it won't know what to do with it unless you do a 'hotfix')

*oskar told me how to do this and i can find it if you need to know how without reloading windows*

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont see bios version of your board in your sig...kinda need to have that info in there so i can see if you have proper bios for X2 support

also...did you load windows fresh or just pop in the new X2 on an existing windows load? (windows loaded on a single cpu sets uniprocessor, and if you install a second cpu or logical cpu, it won't know what to do with it unless you do a 'hotfix')

*oskar told me how to do this and i can find it if you need to know how without reloading windows*

It's a fresh install and the reason I don't have a bios version in my sig is because I'm expermenting to find one that works for me, so far i've tried 6/23,7/02, and 7/04 none of them fix my problems. Is their a dos based program I can boot into that will test my cpu? Sort of a cpu equvilent to memtest, I'm trying to rule out the possible causes of this problem.

Would greatly appreciate it if you could post that info, X2 on the way.

-pickles

I took my 4800+ out since it and SLI were not getting along too well and of the few games I play> my favorite the 4800+ would NOT even let me play. Oh yes I tweaked and then searched and a pattern of X2 not debugged in my eyes began to appear and I pulled it from my board until more data is revealed.

RGone...

Hi, I'm a new user in this Forum and I have also some strange Problems with my X2.

What do you mean when you say "would NOT even let me play"?

On Stock Speed everything works fine with my X2 4800+ and the 7800GTX SLI.

But if I overclock the CPU to 2.6 or 2.8GHz (on watercooling) I can only play for some hours on full speed. After maybe 5 hours the SLI crashes and the FPS are droping to very slow levels araound 30FPS (from 70-100FPS). Even a restart doesn’t help, I have to shutdown the System for some time or get back to stock speed.

I don’t know whats wrong. I hope somebody has some advice for me! Thanks!

My System:

AMD X2 4800+

DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR (BIOS 6-23)

4x512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL

2x Gainward CoolFX 7800GTX SLI (Forceware 77.76)

Antec Truepower 2.0 550W

cooled by innovatek H2O, dual Radiator

--sorry for my bad english^^--

does your overclcok pass prime95 or some other torture test and then fail gaiming? If you havent treid priming then try it as it is possible that your overlcock is unstable (may need to change processor/memory voltage or memory timings/multiplier...)

But if I overclock the CPU to 2.6 or 2.8GHz (on watercooling) I can only play for some hours on full speed. After maybe 5 hours the SLI crashes and the FPS are droping to very slow levels araound 30FPS (from 70-100FPS). Even a restart doesn’t help, I have to shutdown the System for some time or get back to stock speed.

temps?

I'm still testing with Prime95, but I haven't had any crashes so far, even with sub-optimal Patriot memory. Is your power supply up to the task? BTW, I don't regret getting an X2, even at today's price & with one memory controller, as I've wanted 2x CPU ever since the old Abit BH-6 days.