Completely Kick-Butt Keyboard

red930

unfortunately i dont have LCD monitors and 19" ones dont look like they would have any good space

but

beyond that...i want the corner desks...she and I have a corner to ourselves with folding tables down the length of each wall

Here's a link to my next display. :) It has a 12ms response time average and the price is awesome. Too bad my wife has to have one of everything the same as I have, if not better. The woman has this fascination with making sure her PC is better than mine so she can play roller coaster tycoon.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...9&page=external

As far as desks go, see if there's a local Hotel Liquidators near you. I picked up a pair of steel frame desks from there for less than a hundred and they're perfect for the computers. We have them set up back to back because we learned long ago that anything on my screen is infinitely more interesting than her screen, and vice versa.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Staples carries a desk that I really like. It's called the Arch Leg desk. Two steel arch frames that are powder coated. It has a huge keyboard and mousing surface. There's a small riser you can use but I never put that on.

I have two of them and will buy another just to have around. At $49.99 they are worth every penny.

Pay attention to the dimensions in the ad and you will see just how much room you get to work with.

Link goodness...

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku....pe=1&Sku=497066

I was looking at getting a new desk but the combined weight of my 21 CRT and the 19 LCD, plus the other crap, keyboard, game pad, and what not, that poor thing would buckle in a month or two at best.

It has a square tube welded steel frame. I don't think the weight of a 21" monitor will begin to cause a problem for you. I have a 17" Sony CRT and 19" Samsung LCD. The desktop is still as flat as the day I put it together two years ago.

That looks yummy.. I would sure as hell buy one.

No $hit? Well then, I may have to go to Staples and check that out. That has been my main concern with getting a new desk. They just all look so flimsy and I would just hate to come home and find my entire desk collapsed and all my gear broken to pieces you know??

By the way, that 21 I have weighs +50 lbs.

• 5 months later...

The keyboard does look sweet, indeed! But I'm almost certain I won't get one myself, because...

- Cost. Without doubt, it will be huge. At least, for a keyboard.

- Wireless? I'm not a friends of those, as they tend to power down just at wrong moment.

Perhaps a 10.000 years lasting micro nuclear battery would change that, but...

- I already have to exchange my keyboards several times per year, as they'll tend to wear off.

Unless this gadget is super hyper strong, I would quickly run out of money just by getting new keyboard(s).

What about one (part of) OLED key getting non-functional? Any spare parts coming available... and cost of them? Without those this keyboard could quickly become to really expensive paper weight. Even while you could remap keys and not use not working one(s). Even if they manage to get that patent issue handled and hurl the product out to market, I'm afraid it will not become mainstreet product. TITS, this is only for those who have way too much money to waste...

They may be using bluetooth wireless too, which would drive costs and power consumption down more than having a traditional RF or Infrared signal. Costs could be lowered because they wouldn't have to supply the receiver necessarily. I hope it's bluetooth so that I can increase my computer's interoperability instead of adding another frickin' receiver.

My current keyboard(s) are a Gyration Wireless (and Gyro Mouse) and a Logitech Elite Freedom. I could see replacing the freedom but I'd miss having the volume wheel and multimedia controls. I guess the Lebedev keyboard would be able to program keys o replace the functions, but I like the tactile feel of a wheel for the volume. *shrug*

@cooler: WTF are you doing to kill keyboards?! I've only broken one keyboard, ever. I was a little... angry at a game, Tomb Raider, and threw the keyboard at the floor.