Overclocking my X800XL

PSS

ds mem: 500*2 = 1000, exact same settings.

PSS, have a look at the Ati Silencer Cooler (nr 5 rev 2 in your case for the x800xl). It will exhaust hot air to back, is quiet and cools better then stockfan. Ok price. Push it up 10/10 and have an AQ3 run (i prefer that one because its short), compare scores and so one.

I need a program that tests stability of the overclock. I dont want crashes and hangs due to the overclock. When ATI tool finds the max core or mem, does it gaurantee 100% stability?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so if I set it to "Mind max core" overnight...Nothing bad will happen right? I dont want to burn out my card. I've never overclocked GPUs, CPUs seem so much easier....

No, actually it won't set those values for you until hit apply, so if you let it run overnight to find the max you should be fine. On a side note, ATI Tool, when finding my max core (not mem), locked up the system every time. With the Rage3D CCC Tweaker that didn't happen. Not sure if that was buggy code, the drivers, or what. But just FYI.

Imo its not worth overclocking your X800XL, i did a 450/1100 with mine, and well...it did give me 250 more points in 3dmark05 lol, besides that it didnt really improve my framerates in bf2 etc. with more than 3-5 fps :P so imo just leave the beauty as it is for now.

I've backed off from 450 to 430 on my x800.

Personally I found overclocking my graphics card a lot lot lot easier than my cpu and memory.

I've seen a big performance hike from the latest omega drivers over the older omega drivers- and ati tray tools that comes bundled with the omegas seem very nice indeed. 3d mark went up 200 points with the new drivers.

I recommend using ATI Tray Tools HERE

Previously I used RAD Linker, ( which creates shortcuts for games, that applies over clocking and other settings specifically while the game runs), this is no longer being updated so now I use ATI Tray Tools which is more powerful to be honest anyway. The benefit being that your card is only over clocked when a game is running, and not 24/7 which must be a good thing.