Female, new to PC building seeks help

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The harddrive space is actually used, I have a ton of clip art, and well over 500,000 pics, not to mention my music collection and a ton of other stuff.

As far as the memory, let me tell you first hand, 2 gigs is a lot better than 1 gig. I also game and there is a huge difference as in LESS performance with 1 gig vs having 2 gigs of memory.

I've been using 2 gigs of memory for a couple of years now, and anyone who says you wont see a performance increase with 2 gigs simply does not know the truth.

no benefit over 1 gig of memory = urban myth. Huge huge difference.

BF2 uses 900 Megs of memory alone if you have 2 gig.

I am REALLY REALLY missing my 2gigs of memory

As for the cost of the system, it was a multi-purchase upgrade of sorts. Not all done at once but, it's a lot cheaper than one might think.

115 motherboard

850 cpu

200 memory

600 video card

750 harddrives

100 tv card

100 cdrw

100 dvd burner

150 Windows MC 2005

600 Dell LCD

350 speakers

100 mouse and keyboard

175 tower

70 powersupply

wow, 4K I guess lol

I'd say toss the PNY off to the side for now. If your motherboard supports DDR500 then having DDR433 in there is just going to drag down your system, and you probably aren't going to use more than 1gb of memory for quite awhile.

Ok if you do have a floppy....I would try either 510-2, 618-2, or 623-2

Download bios you want to flash to and unzip it. Create bootable floppy, and copy from download awdflash.ex,e and n4dxxx-x.bin to the floppy. Shutdown system and clear cmos. Boot system and in bios choose default optimized. Place floppy in drive, save and reboot. It should boot to floppy at the command prompt type awdflash n4dXXX-X.bin hit enter. follow the prompts. After reflash, reboot the system and shutdown system right when it gets to the dfi logo. Clear cmos again, boot set to default optimized in bios, save and reboot. Go back into bios and setup to your liking.

xxx-x is ver of bios example n4d510-2

Ok, I have the NON-ultra version of the DFI LP NF4 ... I learned after I had ordered it that I had made a slight mistake but as it turns out, its basically the same as the Ultra version minus a few small things.

So, I can use those firmwares on my board ? Or do I need to find the bios that matches my board exactly ?

I am willing to try a firmware upgrade, 2 gigs makes my system run a lot better, less hd activity, especially during gaming.

Even The Sims 2 runs better with 2 gig's

I'd say toss the PNY off to the side for now. If your motherboard supports DDR500 then having DDR433 in there is just going to drag down your system, and you probably aren't going to use more than 1gb of memory for quite awhile.

this is untrue...the rated speeds of the modules don't mean much other than what they were binned to run at specific timings.

the problem is trying to run mismatched SPD modules (ie a 1GB kit with 2-2-5-2 will not work with a 1GB kit with 2.5-3-8-3 etc)

fix your sig to list bios version + psu make/model

Ok, back and Sig created.

I changed the CPC to disable, memory came up showing 2T this time, All 4 sticks in, no beeps, BUT ........ sadly, only 1 gig of memory is showing. And memory is matched up, 1 ~ 3 and 2 ~ 4

Running memory at 2.8 volts, CPC = disable

Not sure what steps to take next. Anyone?

A bios flash would be my last option as I am quite honestly ... scared.

k. first off, burn the 'full' ISO from the link in my sig.

download & install WinRAR -> unpack the DFI_BIOSROM.rar -> you will be left with a DFI_BIOSROM.ISO -> download & install nero6 trial -> launch nero -> Recorder -> Burn Image -> find the .ISO (within the nero prompt) -> doubleclick on it -> insert blank CDR/RW -> Burn -> shutdown pc -> switch off -> unplug -> wait for yellow lights to turn off -> put 1 stick of ram in to slot #2 (orange - top; leave other slots empty) -> plug in -> switch on -> power up -> enter bios -> load optimised defaults -> y -> Advanced BIOS -> Set CDROM First Boot -> save -> boot off CD you just burnt -> press space bar as soon as you see title ("DFI NF4 BIOS CDROM PACK") until you get to the prompt ("Which BIOS To Flash To?")

For example, to flash to Beta BIOS 623-2 (for DFI NF4 LP UT ONLY):

type: go623-2 at the prompt -> it will flash -> after flash it will reset on its own -> enter BIOS -> load optimised defaults -> y -> save -> After POST finishes -> shutdown -> switch off -> unplug -> wait for yellow lights to turn off -> hit power 5-10 times for discharge -> set Clear CMOS jumper -> wait for 10-20 minutes -> set CMOS jumper back to default -> plug in ram modules 2+4 -> plug in -> switch on -> power up -> enter bios -> load optimised defaults -> y -> GENIE -> GENIE DRAM -> Command Per Clock (CPC): Disable -> save -> After POST finishes -> shutdown -> switch off -> unplug -> wait for yellow lights to turn off -> plug in modules 1+3 -> plug in -> switch on -> power up -> ....

If you recieve 'Disk Not Ready' when executing the "go..." statement at the flash prompt, download 310_623-mini.rar (keeping with 623 for this example i have shown you) and repeat the process for burn, flash, and ram orientation, etc. above.

good luck.

Ok if you do have a floppy....I would try either 510-2, 618-2, or 623-2

Download bios you want to flash to and unzip it. Create bootable floppy, and copy from download awdflash.ex,e and n4dxxx-x.bin to the floppy. Shutdown system and clear cmos. Boot system and in bios choose default optimized. Place floppy in drive, save and reboot. It should boot to floppy at the command prompt type awdflash n4dXXX-X.bin hit enter. follow the prompts. After reflash, reboot the system and shutdown system right when it gets to the dfi logo. Clear cmos again, boot set to default optimized in bios, save and reboot. Go back into bios and setup to your liking.

xxx-x is ver of bios example n4d510-2

if you want to do it this way, you must give the proper flags for a 'full' flash. merely giving the bios filename will cause problems at times.

awdflash BIOSFILE.BIN /py /sn /cd /cp /cc /LD /R /f