NF4 SLI-DR> Looking for Recommendations and Advice

Erekosse

I don't have x2, but have settled for the time being on 623-2. I did a total tune from scratch with this bios and hit the 939 OC Database with it. Of course other bios might allow for a better oc, who knows, but at least I personally feel the 623 is solid for my signature.

Also, I did go for the bios-savior, and hence can try others at will, without much risk. Highly recommended! If you are interested, I'll save you some bother - ya want the RD1-PMC4 version for the nf4's.

Chad

i just finished setting up my first build.. a x2 4400+ and new DFI lanparty Ultra board. I got everything set up now with only 1 small problem along the way (a bad floppy drive). I just update the bios immediately to 5-10 -2 and the cpu was detected.. i had both memory sticks in and they were detected without problems. I'm up and running stable all day and running tests. I'm very happy :) Thanks for the help guys..

Brian

I've made some progress on putting the system below together. I flashed the BIOS to 6.23-3 from the official DFI download site. I've got all the hardware in the case.

I initially had the OCZ RAM (discussed in thread http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15719) in the yellow DIMM slots. I got a screen indicating that I needed to switch the RAM to the orange slots. I did that and was able to get to the BIOS menu.

I proceeded to test the RAM using memtest86+ v. 1.60. I looped test #5 for about 100 passes averaging about 1.38 errors per pass. The memory was set at 2-2-2-5, 1T, 3V and FSB 220. During that time, I ran out and got a 80mm fan and connected it to the MB and positioned it over the RAM and the errors disappeared. I left it for about 8 hours (and 600 or so additional passes) without errors.

I scaled back the voltage to 2.8 and the FSB to 215 (timing left the same) and removed the fan. The errors in test #5 began to appear again. I've scaled the FSB back down to 200, and the errors have gone away. I'm now running the entire memtest testbank at this FSB before moving forward with installing the OS.

I have a couple of questions.

1) I noted that people have suggested that the yellow slots are better for this RAM. Is this a myth? If not, do I need to change my bios in order to move the memory to the yellow slots? VERDICT STILL OUT - STILL EXPERIMENTING WITH TIMINGS AND SLOTS

2) Any thoughts on the testing discussed above? Do I need to get some active cooling on the RAM in order to OC at the levels in my initial testing.INSTALLED PIGGY-BAG 92MM ANTEC FAN ON THE ZALMAN CONNECTED TO MY XP-90 - SEE NEXT POST FOR SOME PICTURES

I am also blantantly soliciting prayers on my behalf as I embark on the installation of the 64-bit Windows OS...XP PRO 64-BIT IS UP AND RUNNING WELL (WITHOUT SOME OF MY OLDER PERIPHERAL FOR WHICH I DON'T HAVE 64-BIT DRIVERS)

David

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone who provided advice to me on this build. I've marked this thread as resolved. If anything comes up down the road, I'll either find an appropriate thread or start one...

I'm attaching some photos of the piggy back fan arrangement reference in the post above.

Cheers,

David