NF4 SLI-DR> Looking for Recommendations and Advice

Erekosse

My wife believes that I have hit a mid-life crisis and, instead of opting for some outrageously expensive car, I've opted to revert to an older, pre-marriage, pre-children hobby, namely computers. Of course back in those pre-marriage, pre-children days, I might have been posting on net news during the day rather than late in the evening after the wife and children are in bed asleep...

In any case, I've worked backed into it with building some fairly easy systems - a P4/socket 775 system for the office and an Athlon 3000+/socket 754 system for my eight-year-old daughter (who assisted with the assembly). These went very smoothly; however, from hanging around this forum for the last week or so, I am getting the impression that my current build project may not be quite as easy.

I am starting with the base hardware in the signature below (assuming I setup the profile correctly - if not, look for a follow-up message with the HW information). I have some specific questions, which follow, but I am open to any advice from those of you with experience working with DFI boards.

1) [resolved] Any thoughts on compatibility or incompatibility of the components described below? Any recommendations for alternative HW that would be more compatible before I crack the boxes open? HW WORKABLE W/VARIOUS RECOMMENDATIONS PROVIDED BELOW

2) [resolved] I have a 512MB of PNY value memory that I picked up at Fry's earlier today. If the graphics card beats the OCZ memory, I may try to get the system up and running with the PNY memory. Please let me know if I should just wait for the OCZ memory. WAIT FOR OCZ

3) [resolved] My understanding of the BIOS situation, and the likely situation with the NF4 SLI-DR that I have, is that the BIOS on the mobo is not going to support the 4400+ dual core processor. Will it support the processor enough to post/boot to the point where I can flash the BIOS with a version that does support the dual core processors? FLASHED TO 6.23-3 AT FIRST BOOT FROM DFI OFFICIAL DOWNLOAD SITE

4) [resolved] I have MS Windows XP Pro (64-bit). Anyone experiencing any difficulties with install or execution of this OS with the NF4 SLI-DR board and/or the other HW components listed below? ABOUT TO INSTALL - SEE POST #19 BELOW

5) [resolved] What BIOS version would be most appropriate for the HW described below? BIOS SAVIOR INSTALLED - KEEPING THE ORIGINAL BIOS CHIP FLASHED WITH THE LATEST OFFICIAL BIOS - NO EXPERIMENTING AS YET BUT WILL DO SO IF AT ALL ON THE BIOS SAVIOR

6) [resolved] I plan to wait until I get it all stable, but I have a Audigy 2 ZS waiting to add to the mix. Anyone aware of any complications or compatibility I may face down the road when I add this component?

NEW QUESTIONS AT POST #19 BELOW

Thanks in advance.

David

My wife believes that I have hit a mid-life crisis and, instead of opting for some outrageously expensive car, I've opted to revert to an older, pre-marriage, pre-children hobby, namely computers. Of course back in those pre-marriage, pre-children days, I might have been posting on net news during the day rather than late in the evening after the wife and children are in bed asleep...

In any case, I've worked backed into it with building some fairly easy systems - a P4/socket 775 system for the office and an Athlon 3000+/socket 754 system for my eight-year-old daughter (who assisted with the assembly). These went very smoothly; however, from hanging around this forum for the last week or so, I am getting the impression that my current build project may not be quite as easy.

I am starting with the base hardware in the signature below (assuming I setup the profile correctly - if not, look for a follow-up message with the HW information). I have some specific questions, which follow, but I am open to any advice from those of you with experience working with DFI boards.

1) Any thoughts on compatibility or incompatibility of the components described below? Any recommendations for alternative HW that would be more compatible before I crack the boxes open?

2) I have a 512MB of PNY value memory that I picked up at Fry's earlier today. If the graphics card beats the OCZ memory, I may try to get the system up and running with the PNY memory. Please let me know if I should just wait for the OCZ memory.

3) My understanding of the BIOS situation, and the likely situation with the NF4 SLI-DR that I have, is that the BIOS on the mobo is not going to support the 4400+ dual core processor. Will it support the processor enough to post/boot to the point where I can flash the BIOS with a version that does support the dual core processors?

4) I have MS Windows XP Pro (64-bit). Anyone experiencing any difficulties with install or execution of this OS with the NF4 SLI-DR board and/or the other HW components listed below?

5) What BIOS version would be most appropriate for the HW described below?

6) I plan to wait until I get it all stable, but I have a Audigy 2 ZS waiting to add to the mix. Anyone aware of any complications or compatibility I may face down the road when I add this component?

Thanks in advance.

David

First welcome!

1 yes...wrong address :) looks good.

2. I would wait for the ocz.

3. and 5. Need to flash to at least bios 510 The -2 version works well with most setups. Before installing your OS.

4. Win XP Pro sp2. I would wait a little before going 64. Could do the dual boot thing though.

6. No clue. I use the onboard sound.

You will like that case ... also the PSU is very solid. OCZ has SUPER support, go straight to their forum and grab bios values for your 3200.

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54

nice graphics!! yea you will be fine (return the fry's mem!)

I don't have any experience with the x2's but have following the bios issues fairly closely ... I would suggest going straight to the 623-2 .. but I have not followed along to know if the x2 will even post/boot to floppy to flash right off?

The board will likely show up with 1/25 or 3/10.

Spend the first couple days working with the bios and memtest .. play with the various values and run the built-in bootable memtest .. there are some rituals of "memory burn-in" that some suggest .. this is a good time to do it and learn a bit about your memory/bios settings.

Get 100% memtest stable (24 hours) before even bothering to go further.

Thanks for the feedback thus far.

I'll head up to Fry's tomorrow with my son and return the PNY value RAM and wait for the OCZ Gold to arrive. Any direction on the burn-in procedure? I've not done that before. What are the benefits of doing it?

In terms of flashing the bios prior to the OS install, will I need a floppy drive installed? Or, can I handle that from a boot CD after changing the boot order in the installed bios?

Thx!

David

3) My understanding of the BIOS situation, and the likely situation with the NF4 SLI-DR that I have, is that the BIOS on the mobo is not going to support the 4400+ dual core processor. Will it support the processor enough to post/boot to the point where I can flash the BIOS with a version that does support the dual core processors?

Good question....

I'm in the same boat as you with the 4400+ and new DFI board.. i got everything put together so far, just waiting for the graphics card so i can test out the new setup. My only concern is getting this thing to post and getting a new bios on here with my X2 4400+ (i dont have another chip lying around if this 4400+ doesnt work initially). *Fingers crossed*

@ Erekosse and br1, I would suggest you get floppy drive and make bootable floppy disk with at least the 510-2.bin bios on it. Boot STRAIGHT to the floppy and flash that bios. Do not pass go. Do not play in bios. Do not dilly dally around looking and wondering. Be prepared and flash the bios before going on. Floppy drives cost next to nothing and are available everywhere under the sun. The floppy cable comes with the board so only a floppy drive and some floppys and you should come out Ok. Don't put the floppy drive in the case if you don't plan to use it. I would not be caught without the floppy drive as many builds as I do in a days time to simulate customer configs but that is me and you is you.

So why did I say all of that? Well most any board tends to boot once. Once maybe it though if you have a bios to cpu issue. Flashing instead of fooling takes that issue out of the mix.

RGone...

1) Any thoughts on compatibility or incompatibility of the components described below? Any recommendations for alternative HW that would be more compatible before I crack the boxes open?

2) I have a 512MB of PNY value memory that I picked up at Fry's earlier today. If the graphics card beats the OCZ memory, I may try to get the system up and running with the PNY memory. Please let me know if I should just wait for the OCZ memory.

4) I have MS Windows XP Pro (64-bit). Anyone experiencing any difficulties with install or execution of this OS with the NF4 SLI-DR board and/or the other HW components listed below?

5) What BIOS version would be most appropriate for the HW described below?

6) I plan to wait until I get it all stable, but I have a Audigy 2 ZS waiting to add to the mix. Anyone aware of any complications or compatibility I may face down the road when I add this component?

Thanks in advance.

David

First of all, the video card you are looking at has a terrible cooler, you should get the 6800GT made by Leadtek, they have the best stock cooler I have ever seen. Yes, the audigy 2 should work no problem, I have one too (see my specs). If you get the 4400+, I think you will be able to update the BIOS, but I am not 100% sure because I do not own a dual core CPU. I have seen posts on here that people have had trouble getting XP64 to work, but even if you did get it running you would have a hell of a time finding drivers, plus I don't think there are any antivirus/firewall programs that even run on XP64. You should wait for the OCZ memory, generally speaking, value memory does not play nice with DFI boards. I had almost no trouble setting up my custom build, the only thing was that I had to raise the voltage on the memory from 2.6 to 2.8 (this can be done in the BIOS).

@ Erekosse and br1, I would suggest you get floppy drive and make bootable floppy disk with at least the 510-2.bin bios on it. Boot STRAIGHT to the floppy and flash that bios. Do not pass go. Do not play in bios. Do not dilly dally around looking and wondering. Be prepared and flash the bios before going on. Floppy drives cost next to nothing and are available everywhere under the sun. The floppy cable comes with the board so only a floppy drive and some floppys and you should come out Ok. Don't put the floppy drive in the case if you don't plan to use it. I would not be caught without the floppy drive as many builds as I do in a days time to simulate customer configs but that is me and you is you.

So why did I say all of that? Well most any board tends to boot once. Once maybe it though if you have a bios to cpu issue. Flashing instead of fooling takes that issue out of the mix.

RGone...

Hellfire's 510-2 -

http://indabasement.com/DFINF4/bios/N4D510-XCEL2-LL.rar

510 -

http://indabasement.com/DFINF4/bios/N4D510-2.zip

i just want to make sure,is one of these bios ok for a 1st time flash with a X2 4400? (which one.. hmm)

.. And to make this bootable floppy i just create a ms dos startup disk and drop the awdflash.exe and bios file (N4D510-XCEL2-LL.BIN) in with all the other ms startup files on the disk?

Thanks,

Brian

i just create a ms dos startup disk

That is one very good way. You could also try this:

1. download http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/BIOS/NF4LD310.exe and run it. This will create the dos boot disk for you.

2. replace the NF4LD310.bin bios file with the N4D510-XCEL2-LL.BIN file.

3. edit the autoexec.bat file on the and change NF4LD310.bin to N4D510-XCEL2-LL.BIN.

You should be good to go at this point.

I returned the PNY and picked-up a FDD (Sony-920 bare drive) (and some $$ back on the credit card). I plan to go down the road RGone has suggested.

I've seen replies on both the 623-2 and 510-2. I'm leaning towards going with the 510-2 at the outset to get the board going with the dual core support. Any thoughts on this versus straight to 623-2?

On the video card, 003 indicated:

First of all, the video card you are looking at has a terrible cooler, you should get the 6800GT made by Leadtek, they have the best stock cooler I have ever seen.

I think I'm going to stick with it at the moment. My understanding is that I can get a 3rd party cooler if I run into problem with excess heat. My guess is that the cost for the 3rd party cooler will be less than the 15% restock fee (about $50) at newegg plus the added cost of the Leadtek board ($378 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814122209), or the other 6800GT's available - cheapest at $345 w/rebate (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130215) after the XFX card that should arrive mid-week at $299 w/rebate(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814150091)). My purchase analysis ran that I could turn around part of the XFX $50 rebate check and spend half to 2/3 of it back on a better cooler if the heat problem raises its head and still come out ahead of the other board choices.

I'd be interest to hear other thoughts on this if folks have them; with sufficient reason, I'd bite the bullet and suck up the additional cost of heading down the RMA path with the restock fee... :sad:

David

seems like you plan on tryin a coupla bioses out...a little advice...get a bios savior(they are like 25 bucks)and flash it first(if anything goes wrong youll still be able to boot up off your original bios)its easy to use(switch on the back of pc)and easy to install(carefull taking your original bios out)..you can get them at frozencpu.com

the one you want is http://www.frozencpu.com/bio-04.html good luck