Is DFI LanParty nF4 SLi-DR for me ?

Hi,

It's time to upgrade my old PIII system. I decided to get AMD 64 socket 939 processor and now considering these motherboards:

DFI LanParty nF4 SLi-DR and

Asus A8N-SLI-DELUXE

Don't know much about these motherboards other than they attract a lot of attention on the web and have been getting good reviews.

I'd like to get a motherboard with sli support for future upgrade. I have never done any overclocking and it doesn't interest me very much.

I have already read somewhere that there's not much difference in performance between dfi and asus , dfi is better suited for tweaking and there's a price difference between these two motherboards.

My question: 'Is dfi for me' ? or Asus would be good enough ?

Thanks

Well whether you OC or not the DFI DR-SLi MB will be better over the Asus A8N-SLI. The reason for this is that it can handle the 1T timings, has greater flexibility of memory options and when you decide to OC (as will happen) then the DFI is ready, willing and waiting.

I moved from the Asus MB and with just this change had a great performance boost which allowed the other components to breath.. and eventually find their limits rather then the MB being the first wall. Look around this forum and there is plenty of examples plus great help when you need it.

An example my Aquamark 3 bench for A8N-SLi 2x6600Gt ran at 80,925 the move to DFI it jumped up to 86,423 (+6.79%) - 3DMark 05 went from 6,711 to 7,298 (+8.75%).

So DFI is a good choice. :D

The DFI is a race car, with all the attendant issues running a race car everyday has. I love it. It is possible that with a good set of memeory modules you can install the DFI, put it on Optimized defaults and run for the next 10 years without an issue. However it is also possible that you may evperience severe fustration in needing to find a complex set of system variables that will allow you to use the board. If you do want to experiment with setting for maximum performance this board has more than I have ever seen to allow the owner to "play".

Personally, my advice to you is that if you are not interested in overclocking or experimenting with system settings I would think you might be happier with the Asus. Performance at "stock" settings will be so close you cant tell the difference. Where the DFI shines is when you get under the hood and get your hands dirty, it will blow the doors off the Asus. But be sure you like to get your hands dirty before you open the hood.

... It is possible that with a good set of memeory modules you can install the DFI, put it on Optimized defaults and run for the next 10 years without an issue. ...

That's a very encouraging statement. :D

Well I had the same choice....Asus vs DFI (all the others were discounted long ago).

I went for the DFI as its a tweakers board. If you get the options right then BAM...great OC and great stability.

To be honest I could have plugged in and after one flash of the BIOS, have run @ stock stabe for ever :)

If you check lots of forums/review sites you will see that the Asus gets the "Value Award" and the DFI gets the overall general "rocks the shop" award.

I have to say...DFI will be my stable boards for years to come :cool: :nod:

I am freekin amazed guys. You that replied to posters question. No hype. No BS. No sugar coating and just the absolute truth and the reason for the DFI ROCKET MONSTER being in the first place.

Every day that passes I find the caliber of the general DFI mobo user to amaze astound and in fact just plain be good. Not a fanboy answer above. Dang that is remarkable. Fanboys are never a good person to get information about forthcoming purchases from.

I just flat commend you guys. You are all proving that in general it is the cream of the crop that steer the DFI ROCKET MONSTERS thru the fast portals of uncharted space. Thanks guys and take a bow.

RGone...

I am freekin amazed guys. You that replied to posters question. No hype. No BS. No sugar coating and just the absolute truth and the reason for the DFI ROCKET MONSTER being in the first place.

Every day that passes I find the caliber of the general DFI mobo user to amaze astound and in fact just plain be good. Not a fanboy answer above. Dang that is remarkable. Fanboys are never a good person to get information about forthcoming purchases from.

I just flat commend you guys. You are all proving that in general it is the cream of the crop that steer the DFI ROCKET MONSTERS thru the fast portals of uncharted space. Thanks guys and take a bow.

RGone...

ROFL @ RGone and thanks :bows: :dog:

@bry1987 > Don't HI-JACK a thread of another poster with a question that is absolutely NO part of this discussion.

The search button will find 97% of any relavent information you require about any DFI motherboard.

RGone...

I am pretty sure there'are answers to many questions somewhere on this forum. Most questions are too technical for me in which users are discussing overclocking and various issues in detials.

All I wanted to know which motherboard is more suitable for me and find good arguments and reasons.

If questions in my post annoys you. I won't be asking anything here.

Good bye forum.