Fishing, Hunting, and other activities that end up with dead stuff you

Cobia69

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been up to my favorite catfishin river twice in 3 days,they're hitting nice,8-9 keepers both times,1st batch I fillet 'em and we deep fryed and ate tuesday,excellent.

guess I got to clean some more fish today,got to teach those guys how to fillet,anybody know best way to sharpen fillet knives,I've got some diamond whetstone sharpeners,just never been good at it.I've had good luck w/ceramic rods before,just can't find any

Everyone in my family just paid a professional to sharpen the knives. A good edge from a professional will last several hundred fish. An OK edge might only last a few fish as you've probably found.

I don't like a hollow ground edge on a filet knife since the edge tends to get "turned" when you hit the bone at a shallow angle.

I like a two bevel edge for longevity and performance.

anybody know best way to sharpen fillet knives

But that's the secret of using a pro. The edge they put on the blade will keep you from having a dull knife when you need a sharp one.

Thanks ExRoadie,

I've been debating using a pro,guess I'll try one now,it's just if I'm out somewhere camping and cleaning a lot of fish I'd like to be able to myself.

Depends on the knife. Fancy and I would use a stick/wand on it only.

I probably would just get one of the plastic handheld sharperners. *(the ones with dual stones that you just drag the knife through the V.) Thats what the local guy who cleans fish uses. Right now he is cleaning somer Red Snapper for me ! !! ! ! ! ! ARRR

He burns through Dexter Russels like they were candy but he can clean hundreds of pounds per hour. I use a dexter russel Tiger Saw at work and have the knuckle divots to prove it.

We had a 8 hour (*departed 5 am central), and then we went back out with Boss's wife And a guy we know and his GF and her two kids for a play trip.

We got 2 black sea bass, 1 spanish mackrel,1 gag grouper, 22 Red Snappers, 1 triggerfish.

It was a freebie (non paying trip) so I get half the haul ~ ! *(aND I am invited to dinner with the 23 & 25 year old daughters. )

So after 14 hours (12 on the4 water) OMG did I mentionhow awesome the weather was !! I am reloading and going to haVE a beer with them and chill.

We kicked butt on the 8 hour also : 5 groupers and a limit of snappers and about 20 triggerfish and 1 king mackrel and one mangrove snapper. I didn't get to fish then so it wasnt as fun.

Now to go enjoy the scenery and the AC.

Waiiit, http://www.hiliner.com/comm/knives1.htm my beloved tiger Saw is renamed "Tiger Slicer" and "second" generation product now.

Anyhoo, you wanna fillet get a Dexter Russel.

• 1 year later...

My 6 and 8yr old nephews in Boca Raton,Fla. got a chance to go fishing w/some friends of theirs back in March,it was their 1st time on a boat,althougth we have went off piers b4.

The youngest one Andrew(in the middle)caught the biggest,when my sister asked him if he thought that was the biggest fish he would ever catch,he responded,"Oh no,I'll catch a lot bigger ones than that"(He did need a "little" help getting that one in).

My oldest nephew Corry(on the left),caught the next biggest one.

My sister home schools the boys and they are exceptional kids,I always look forward to spending as much time as possible w/them.

fish1km7.th.jpg

• 9 months later...

Nice catch. I see you're still keeping the thread alive.

I've been out to the lake a few times since spring started. Still haven't brought a fishing pole with me. It's been in the high 80's, low 90's here, so there are plenty of other attractions on the shores.