XP x64 Installs

Ok. Who has x64 installed? I am installing it today and would like a place we can bounce our issues around at eachother. Is there a sticky somewhere? I have an Ultra-D personally and would like to see it go smoothly. Does anyone have any horror stories yet?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're trying to use any form of RAID, and have the NF4 chipset, good luck. I haven't found drivers for this that are supported by XP-64 yet. If you happen to find them, please share the link.

xp 64 .. it runs .. ther is limited driver support .. there is limited software availability .. you use a 64 system to emulate 32bit so you can run what you already run in 32 bit .. but, I'm not sure if it's the new version of everest home, or 64 bit XP, my memory reads went from 6395MB/s to over 6600MB/s (having nothing better to do last night, I decided to torment myself by installing 64bit XP again)

there is no advantage to windows64

unless you think advantages consist of immature drivers, no software support, and random bits of bugs and oddness

Just like every other piece of software they issue - garbage until SP2 (their own bugs + no support from other vendors).

Only advantage at this point lies for programmers, or some applications servers, the ability to include some 64 bit extensions in your applications (which, once you include, could render them incompatible with the 32 bit OSes)

What are the advantages of Xp64? For normal gamers?

Is there a 64-bit executable for Half Life 2?

Most games have been seen to run at much lower frame rates in XP64. There won't be any advantage there until games made to take advantage of it.

Ok. Who has x64 installed? I am installing it today and would like a place we can bounce our issues around at eachother. Is there a sticky somewhere? I have an Ultra-D personally and would like to see it go smoothly. Does anyone have any horror stories yet?

I have just installed XP64. I've got it dual booted with XP Pro. From what I've heard, if this is what you want to do, install Pro first, then 64... Only problem I had, was getting my memory to run dual channel. I had to drop to a 2T command rate. So I keep that hotkeyed in one of the CMOS banks.

XP64 isn't quite as new as everyone thinks. It's built on Windows Server 2003 so its nto like they started from scratch. Don't expect a whole lot of support for regular desktop stuff though. I'm only running it so I can run the Lightwave 64 beta.

Windows x64 is actually more stable then xp because it is built off of 2003. ANd i have it installed currently and have noticed a lot more stablity with windows x64 despite the lack of driver support.