** A64 Overclocking Guide **

so noone knows what i am doing wrong?

yes I will tell you exactly what you are doing wrong

you are ignoring advice given that is very important and if you can't be bothered to read the rules and follow them then you won't find anything here but a lot of headache because you won't be posting here very long.

BIG RED LETTERS...READ THE RULES...FOLLOW THEM.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha sorry about that guys, i'm as new to this forum as i am to overclocking.. hopefully this will help, just to recap my problem, can't overclock from my BIOS past 210 x 10, when I put it to 220 x 10 it will reset itself back to the factory 200 x 10. No idea what I am doing, any feedback will benefit me, thanks your time.

SAKO

:nod: :shake: :nod:

yes I will tell you exactly what you are doing wrong

you are ignoring advice given that is very important and if you can't be bothered to read the rules and follow them then you won't find anything here but a lot of headache because you won't be posting here very long.

BIG RED LETTERS...READ THE RULES...FOLLOW THEM.

I appologize :( been up all night playing BF2 on my new setup and attempting to OC, although I am being cautious since I have no clue what I am doing.. ;)

What kind of results did you have with Memtest?

I can't even get it to post @ 220 x 10 it will automatically reset cant get into windows to do any kind of testing, 2100 mhz runs very good though. And all i did was up the 200 -> 210

I even tried upping my voltage from the stock 1.35 to 1.4, i have seen people getting it up to 2.4 with the stock voltage and cooling... can't figure it out. Oh ya I get an error that says WARNING: Resetting the CPU frequency in CMOS or BIOS or something

To find the max of your CPU you want to take out your other components as variables, so this is what I do:

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio (CPU Multi) to default. Do NOT use the auto setting! Manually set it to whatever your default multi is.

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio (LDT Multi) to 2.5x or 3x.

Setting this lower right now will make sure that your total HTT speed doesn’t cause instability.

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio (Ram Ratio) to 100(Mhz)(1/02)

This is much lower then you should ever set this but it will make sure your ram is running way under spec and wont be causing you any problems at this point..

CPU VID (Voltage Identification) Control (CPU Vcore)

This is a tricky one.. Its gonna depend on how good your temps are and how far your willing to take it. For 90nm cores (i.e. Sandiego, Venice, x2, Winnies) its best to stick around 1.6v-1.65v MAX, For 130nm cores (i.e. Clawhammer, newcastles) you can go a little higher to 1.7v-1.75v but always make sure temps are good. If you have extreme cooling like water or phase then you can take the voltages higher. You could also try to see how far you will get on stock vcore first or just bump it up from the start. This is totally up to you and what you feel comfortable with. Some A64 CPU’s actually overclock better with less voltage that’s why its good to start off lower to find the max of that and if your unhappy or want more then you up it from there.

I dont know where to find any of these in my BIOS its a more complicated version of BIOS than I am used to, has like the Guru panel and all that, can't seem to find which is the CPU Multi and what my default one i gotta set to is, I am guessing LDT Multi is the HT setting in my BIOS? is that correct? Don't know where the RAM Ratio is either, and the CPU Vcore I assume is the the CPU Voltage? I am trying to follow your directions which are very clear, love this whole post, just that I can't seem to match up I guess your version of BIOS to mine.

That was my point.

With a different board you will need to review the posts in section and apply it to your bios/board.

Really hard to give you settings for a board that has different settings. :)

Must have been your father that was Cantundastanian.

Do you have a short fan uncle named Carl?

:nod:

Ok, how's about this for a wrench in the HTT thingy.

(this is following the guide at the beginning of this thread)

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio (LDT Multi) to 2.5x or 3x.

Setting this lower right now will make sure that your total HTT speed doesn’t cause instability.

X2 3800+ winchester

ram is on 1/02 other than that...default settings.

voltage - 1.30 *plus the extra 123%* ...as recommended

went from

215x10 incrementing +15fsb running superpi on each core to 32m

all the way to

250x10 then noticed...

NVmonitor reports htt speed of 0. (that's a zero)

i figured maybe it was reading it wrong.

went to run OCCT. (30 min test)

FAILED.

so i pushed fsb to 243

FAILED.

then i decided to push the htt to 3.

NVmonitor shows HTT as 729. (243 * 3)

FAILED.

Pushed htt to 4. htt = 1692 (234*4)

FAILED. (*but it went farther along...*)

One final push to 5. htt = 2115 (234*5)

PASSED. :confused:

running OCCT 30 min test @ 250x10, and htt = 1000 (250*4),

no problems as of yet...10 min left though. *knock on wood*

any ideas?

Thats strange I never experienced that before.. :confused:

Well at 250htt using the 4x LDT is optimal anyways.. (I know you prolly want more tho..lol)

Your working on the max of your ram correct ?

You might want to try and lower your cpu multi also..

This guide was made to cover most of whats involved in oc'n.. but there are always little twists when it comes to different cpu's..ram.. and boards.. So sometimes you need to fool with things a little too.. The important thing is to only change ONE setting at a time.. Its a long tedious process but its the only correct way.. this way you see how your rig reacts to certain changes one at a time..

nyet,

i was still trying to push the CPU.

the 250x10 htt=4 passed OCCT, btw.

255 failed...

trying 252 now...(so picky am i...lol):rolleyes:

here's another quirk...

everytime i load OCCT...it runs on the other affinity...

1, reboot, 2, reboot, 1, reboot, etc...dunno if that's a quirk w/x64 or whatnot?