NF3 Ultra-D 939/AGP

Here's some "supposed" newer BH-5 on this stick of Corsair CMX512...Not the highest buss speed but it's working quite well at 237mhz 1T 2-2-2-10 3.2v...

A64 isn't reporting some things correctly so disregard granularity and the DQS is reduced 15%

unfortunately (or fortunately) the only ram i have is old skool bh-5, aka 3x512 of mushkin pc3500 lvl ii and a 256 stick of corsair xms pc3200 rev 1.1

thanks for the input tho!!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OldGuy - I found a rather lengthy thread of people having intermittent freezes and such with their 6800 and the Nf3 chipset....they were experiencing this with stock speeds though in most cases I believe, but still I THINK I may have found something....one guy suggested removing the nforce drivers you got with your motherboard and using the nforce unified 5.10 drivers instead.....so I suppose I will be trying that out and see if that helps at all....if not I suppose I'm fine with a little lower clock but still has a performance increase due to going from an XP-M setup to AMD64.......it still is over Ultra specs and runs really cool so I suppose I should be thankful for that.....it does seem however that moving the AGP frequency to 67MHz helped when it was at 410/1120 because previously it wouldn't run that...bumping up that frequency made it run like it's supposed to, but I don't care to really push it more than that.

I know one of the tips and tricks for the MSI Neo2 Plat is to actually put the AGP at 67MHz, so that's basically where I got the idea from.

I know one of the tips and tricks for the MSI Neo2 Plat is to actually put the AGP at 67MHz, so that's basically where I got the idea from.

I've just gotten in the habit of setting and forgetting it at 67 so's I knows it's locked. One of those things we pick up from reading thread after thread after thread. I wouldn't sweat the big OC from the GFX for now though I do have one up on ya from switching from LP NF3 754 to the 939. My ATI is runnin right where it was before right down to failing 3DM01 if I forget to clock it back down to 586/1172. Me loves me ATI :D

setting and forgetting it
lol like that oven :P "Set it and forget it!"

I got some 6000RPM 60mm fans that push about 40CFM so I figure I might aim one at the chipset and give it .1 added voltage assuming these unified drivers dont work....

Man I'm itching to do some overclocking, but honestly I don't know if I even want to try it after reading some of these stories....

I got 0.2+ using the CPU VID control right now and CPU-Z reads 1.408 Vcore because it was showing 1.28 from the beginning.....but who knows.....isn't there some speculation that in reality the BIOS is just screwed in showing voltages, so more than likely my CPU is running at like 1.65v right now assuming it defaults to stock 1.45 but is showing 1.28, then I do .2+ increase.....hmm...curioser and curioser

lol like that oven :P "Set it and forget it!"

I got some 6000RPM 60mm fans that push about 40CFM so I figure I might aim one at the chipset and give it .1 added voltage assuming these unified drivers dont work....

Man I'm itching to do some overclocking, but honestly I don't know if I even want to try it after reading some of these stories....

I got 0.2+ using the CPU VID control right now and CPU-Z reads 1.408 Vcore because it was showing 1.28 from the beginning.....but who knows.....isn't there some speculation that in reality the BIOS is just screwed in showing voltages, so more than likely my CPU is running at like 1.65v right now assuming it defaults to stock 1.45 but is showing 1.28, then I do .2+ increase.....hmm...curioser and curioser

Are you one of those that cannot change your voltage manually without getting bsods and reboots? What are you running anyway? Just checked your siggy. Yall need to update that so we're all on the same page :D

Mine displays the 1.28v like everyone else but I'm able to change my voltage manually. Still displays in windows at .20 under whatever I've got it set at. So going off of that I'm at 1.6v (1.50 +.10 increase) and all software monitors show 1.40-1.42...So for me I'd say more than speculation cuz everyhting is "behaving" as it should or just plain "feels" right :P Processor was new for me but so far everything is stable at 2.6g's. Hoping for a new bios to see exactly where I'm at kinda sorta...

Are you one of those that cannot change your voltage manually without getting bsods and reboots? What are you running anyway? Just checked your siggy. Yall need to update that so we're all on the same page
Ahh yeah, sorry about the sig, I just got it up and running yesterday and have been feverishly re-installing my necessary programs and such.

I am running:

3200+ Venice

1gb Patriot PC3200 XBL

Thermaltake 560w PSU

6800GT

Danger Den water cooling, D4 pump, 1/2" tubing, maze4GPU, TDX block not that that's pertinent information :P

When I put it all together it booted up without a hitch upon first try, got SATA drivers installed (no raid) for my SATA drives and have installed windows no problem, and everything is running smooth with the exception of the graphics card OC which we've already discussed.

I haven't messed with changing the voltage manually....The only thing I've adjust is the .1+ increase, although currently I've put it to .2+ but I haven't actually tried setting the Vcore to 1.45..........I've just left that at auto for now and then have added the .2

So right now, my CPU-Z read 1.408 voltage, and yes originally it read 1.28v like I believe everyone elses has.....I'm wondering however if it's actually reading 1.408 but it's truly running at like 1.6v because of it's stock voltage plus the .2+ increase, but the BIOS is simply causing it to be read wrong.

EDIT: Just tried those unified chipset drivers, didn't make a difference at all....tried 425/1125 and it froze up right at the beginning of the first 3dmark03 test.....I know 420/1125 works so it looks as if that's my ceiling for this chipset.....trying 422/1125 right now just to squeeze that extra bit out :P

@ nubius...I don't "trust" the 1.28 deal at all. Too many different processors for them to all read 1.28. I also wouldn't trust the add +.20 increase to what your processor "should" be registering though if yer stable and all you can always start pushing it a liitle bit to see where she won't boot. But if that processor is new to you then you really don't have a feel for what it can do. I kinda hesitate to tell ya to try setting the voltage manually as I know speedpc and Rgone have had issues with that. I believe they were able to install OS's without changing anything and I on the other hand HAD to change the voltage to get my OS installed. I have booted since then with the voltage on auto with no increase and it worked fine but since I'm OC'ing I've had to change to 1.6v (at least I think that's where it's at :shake: :shake: )

Time for some more tests with some Kingston "value"...AG's favorite :drool:

OldGuy - Yeah definitely.........I'm comfortable with OC'ing and all, but that really doesn't even matter in this situation since the board can be very picky.....like I said it booted up, installed the OS, and have even been playing games with Vcore set to auto....I will probably knock that vid back down, but I was just seeing if by chance it was playing any roll with the graphics card...it seemed the 67MHz AGP is what did the trick.

So like the saying goes "if it aint broke dont fix it" :P

I really want to start OC'ing this CPU though.....I didn't bother getting an MSI neo2 plat or any other AMD64 board even though I've had this CPU for 3 weeks now, because I specifically wanted a DFI board.....I knew there'd be issues with a new board of course, but some of these seem pretty insane lol.....ahh well, I know within a few months this will be the king OC'er in it's class :D

I'm tempted to start OC'ing this venice even though I know it won't be easy with the current BIOS conditions lol, but hey part of OC'ing is taking a gamble right :D

OldGuy - Yeah definitely.........I'm comfortable with OC'ing and all, but that really doesn't even matter in this situation since the board can be very picky.....like I said it booted up, installed the OS, and have even been playing games with Vcore set to auto....I will probably knock that vid back down, but I was just seeing if by chance it was playing any roll with the graphics card...it seemed the 67MHz AGP is what did the trick.

So like the saying goes "if it aint broke dont fix it" :P

I really want to start OC'ing this CPU though.....I didn't bother getting an MSI neo2 plat or any other AMD64 board even though I've had this CPU for 3 weeks now, because I specifically wanted a DFI board.....I knew there'd be issues with a new board of course, but some of these seem pretty insane lol.....ahh well, I know within a few months this will be the king OC'er in it's class :D

I'm tempted to start OC'ing this venice even though I know it won't be easy with the current BIOS conditions lol, but hey part of OC'ing is taking a gamble right :D

BIOS defaults ntune monitor and smartguardian

boisdefaults5cp.th.jpg

BIOS at 1.45v

biosvidcontrol1456ej.th.jpg

BIOS at 1.55v

bios155pass6yd.th.jpg

Bios at 1.375 +.10

bios137513go.th.jpg

nTune does not actually monitor voltage from within windows like smartguardian but shows what you have it set at in bios. Doesn't reflect voltage adjusting. My CPU is rated at "variable" voltage so I don't "know" what it's default is (screwy eh). Install nTune and use ONLY the monitor and see what ya get at default settings in the bios. Mine registered at 1.40...first pic above. I've read bad things about nTune so I wouldn't mess with anything other than the monitor...

Can anybody use speedfan and manually adjust the speed down, i can't it is not responding to any of the fan connected?

Is someone willing to try this out for me please?

Nobody?

OldGuy - yeah I've heard bad things about Ntune as well lol....question for ya, where can I find that copy of Smart guardian....I had downloaded one but it doesn't look quite the same...still black background with green text, but it's still a bit different with extra little buttons here and there, was hoping perhaps you had a link instead unless you have it saved on your computer.

Just installed ntune and the monitor is reporting 1.4v, mind you I never adjusted the voltage, I just let it stay at 'Auto' and adjust the VID with .2+ but as you said it won't read that........so then technically mine really is at 1.6 then wouldn't it?

Hank - Only fan I have connected is the chipset fan....plus I never use Speedfan as it's seemed nothing but a crap program to me in the past, but I thought I'd check it since MBM5 won't work for this new mobo.....hell I can't even figure out where to adjust the fan speeds lol so I don't know if it works at all.

Where do you guys get Smartguardian? I really can't find it.... :confused: :nod: