ultra-d 2nd pci-e slot question

So i recently moved my vid card to the 2nd pci-e slot because it was a bit close to my heatsink. Just made me feel better knowing it was all that close, plus not exactly over the chipset either. But anyways this might be a noob question but, is there something I should've done? I was reading a post earlier but it was older and never really got answered, is there something I need to do with the jumpers or whatever between the 2 pci-e slots? Thanks for your help.

You got an ULTRA-D... im not sure whether that slots even active... if not there is a hack for the board ot make it read that slot. Lemme know how it goes,

The BIG jumpers that they gave you that nifty pincher tool for in between the two slots are the ones that you need to switch over to the bottom half.

and btw there are a few threads i posted on with your exact problem... Use the Search

I used the search for 8hrs yesterday and as I stated before, the issue really wasnt ever addressed. Atleast the ultra-d situation it wasnt. If you have a link of the "few threads" that you posted about then why not post them. I saw a thread almost exactly like mine, except everyone was giving him advice on the SLI board and not the dxg. I'll look into the jumpers. But is anyone 100% sure on this?

I speak only about SLI-DR, not sure on the Ultra-D. But for me the default was 16x for top PCI-e slot and 2x for bottom one. If you change the jumpers to SLI mode that will give 8x on each.

if you havent changed the jumpers, your 2nd PCI-eX slot is running at x2 (instead of x16) so is slower. If you change the jumpers however, your lower slot runs at x8 (as well as the upper slot. No more x16 on either slot).

The difference in speed in single card mode is negligable at best between x8 and x16. I dont think there is a card on the market that can saturate the bus at x8 never mind x16

:nod:

::Edit:: Doh you just posted that above too... yes its the same on the Ultra-D. the only difference is that you cant run 2 cards in SLI at x8 without the pencil/conductive pen trick.

well I moved the vid card down because of the issue with it being so close to the heatsink and right over top the chipset fan. So I need to move these jumpers eh, thanks for the help everyone. Now do I move all 6 jumpers on the board to their bottom pins? Thats what i'm guessing here.

you say 3sets, is that cause each set is 2?

cause we moved it down yet when i go to into properties from desktop then into advanced there is no longer a geforce tab. should i have reset the cmos?

Its been a while since I did it now, but looking at it again there are 6 sets grouped in three under the 1st PCIeX x16 slots

all six sets should be on 2&3 settings

(see Page 68 of your user manual in PDF format)

To clarify, you should have a row of pins on the top

then a row of Jumpers (covering two pins)

then a row of pins

then a row of Jumpers (covering two pins)

this should give you x8 on the lower slot. If your drivers are having "issues" uninstall and reinstall them in windows. Clearing the Cmos shouldnt need to be done in most cases, but it doesnt hurt to do so.

yep, we moved the jumpers down to the lower slots, reset the cmos and now we're in business. pci-e running at 8x and being detected. thanks alot i really appreciate all the help.