What do you think?

I'm thinking of buying an AMD64 setup. I'd like to have the SLI capabilities although I wont be using it right away. Below is the stuff I'm thinking of getting. Nothing too expensive since I'm trying to keep it fairly cheap. Also I live in Canada so it's harder for me to get all the things that you can in the US.

Parts to Buy

Motherboard: DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+

Memory: OCZ PC-3200 DDR400 Premier Series 1GB (2x512MB) Dual Channel Kit

Video Card: Asus, MSI or XFX 6600GT (Or any other brands you recommend)

Powersupply: Enermax EF701AX-VE SFMA 2.0 NoiseTaker P Series 600 Watt

DVD Writer: Some brand Dual-Layer DVD Writer

Parts I currently have that I will continue to use:

Soundcard: Soundblaster Audigy Gamer

TV Tuner: ATI TV Wonder Pro + Remote Wonder

Hard Drive: 160GB Western Digital ATA and 120GB Maxtor SATA

If you got any recomendations or questions go right ahead a tell me. I'm trying to keep it fairly low cost but still be able to upgrade in the future. I wont be doing any serious overclocking since the processor will only have stock cooling.

Guest Kevin

even with stock u should be able to get some good overclocking :D

Anyways nice system..if ur getting the 6600GT id go with the MSI..i got it and it performs very well and overclocks quite nicely aswell.

Get the Ultra-D, save some money. You can always mod to SLI later if you get the urge, but I bet by then you will be getting the new DFI nF8 or something with a quad core dual 64 GPU. Get the NEC ND-3520 DVD/CDRW drive, at under $50 from NewEgg you cannot go wrong.

I'm not sure how to tell which core it has. could someone explain that? also it will be a retail processor from this store called Canada Computers. their website is http://www.canadacomputers.com.

i think i'll probably still go with the board that supports sli but i could save $70 if i dont.

also does newegg ship to Canada?

Guest Blooz1

As Kevin pointed out, don't think that you won't be able to O/C just because you're going to have the factory HS. The AMD sinks provided with the retail A64's seem much better than what they used on the retail Socket A's.

My rig is running at 2.4GHz with stock cooling, and 99% of the time my load temps are in the 40'sC. There's the occasional "spike" that will hit low 50's, but those are few and far between. The majority of the time the rig is running in the mid to high 30's.

The stock AMD 64 HSF retail package solution works, but it is hot and fairly noisy. You can even overclock it some. But you can drop your load temps by over 10°C by getting the XP-90 from SVC.com (thanks AG!), add a Panaflo or Nexus fan with the OEM chip, and end up faster/quieter/cooler/cheaper. Doesn't get better than that bro :)

get a Leadtek 6600gt, Leadtek has the best stock cooling of all the 6600gt's. XP 90's are the best, just make sure you get a good 92mm fan that is not too loud. The xp-90 cools so well you really dont need a high powered fan. I have a fan controller and run my 92mm fan at about 1/3 spped and my overclocked winchester idles at 23c. and rarely goes over 32c under load.

i personally try to stay away from any "premier" and "value" type memory. you can still overclock with the original heatsink and fan. but if you decide to overclock in the future, i would recommend a xp90 or xp90-c with a panaflo 92mm fan

If Ure going SLI down the road get the SLI otherwise get the Ultra-D.

Same with ATI nVidia if U plan SLI get the 6800gt if not get the 800XL but U will replace the cooling on that any way with a Zalman VF pretty quick so quiet or not at stock doesn't matter.

well I'd rather have the 6600GT since I'll probably end up having 2 of them in SLI. Those XP-90 heatsinks look great but that svc.com site doesnt ship to Canada! Just like newegg. If I'm able to get an XP-90 heatsink should I get the aluminum or copper? Also has there been any problems with the DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR? I got turned away from the ASUS SLI board since people were saying the chipset fan would die. Since no one answered this question from last time, how do I tell which core it is? And yeah I know the premier and value ram isnt as good but the better ram is more money. but i wont be buying this until july or august so maybe things will go down in price by then. also the 6800gt and x800xl are way outta my price range! thanks for all your help!