NF4 Hellfire Modded Bioses

Guest Hellfire_merged

So how many people are using this bios? Does it need some more publicity? I think I would like to see some more people stress testing. I wouldn't mind seeing some more results. From what I have read, it looks like the TCCD isn't performing as well as the BH-5/CH-5 UTT. It also looks like the UTT is working best in the yellow slots now. Agreed?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

510-2 based one is working perfectly for me, even though I have TCCDs.

Would you mind telling us a bit about what differences you take into account when optimizing for the distinct memory chips?

I am really curious about this stuff and the fact that the "utt optimization" seems to be getting along so well with my tccds makes more curious yet :nod:

PS: I've been trying to find tech data about "brainpower pcbs" to no avail. Just marketing fluff is what I found but I still don't know what makes this dimm pcbs so special appart from the fancy name and what we know about what they do allow regarding to overclocking (in a somewhat unaccurate way, though). :confused:

I believe the main thing that is 'special' about the brainpower PCBs is that they are cheaper to manufacture then the JEDEC reference PCBs. Please remember that UTT just means untested. Since the manufacturers (like OCZ etc) are not selling them according to any JEDEC standard, there is no reason to use components that comply with the JEDEC standards. So they simply buy the cheapest memory chips (UTT) and the cheapest PCBs (brainpower) put them together and then test them according to whatever they intend to sell them at.

Please refer to this link if you're still confused

http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=199

Edit: Actually there might be some advantages in terms of overclockability for these brainpower PCBs as discussed here "http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=53&pid=3" I say might because this review/analysis is based on the hypothesis that there will be no significiant variation within a batch for memory ICs. I'm not an electrical engineer but this claim seems rather shaky to me. It might be true but I wouldn't count on it. Testing with a large sample size would help but this sample size is too small IMHO. However the fact that Corsair etc agree make it seem more likely although this doesn't rule out the possibility they are just making that claim to justify a decision which might actually be a cost cutting measure. In the end tho, I don't think it matters much. Whatever the reason a certain memory module is able to reach whatever it reaches doesn't matter to you.

I believe the main thing that is 'special' about the brainpower PCBs is that they are cheaper to manufacture then the JEDEC reference PCBs. Please remember that UTT just means untested. Since the manufacturers (like OCZ etc) are not selling them according to any JEDEC standard, there is no reason to use components that comply with the JEDEC standards. So they simply buy the cheapest memory chips (UTT) and the cheapest PCBs (brainpower) put them together and then test them according to whatever they intend to sell them at.

Please refer to this link if you're still confused

http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=199

Edit: Actually there might be some advantages in terms of overclockability for these brainpower PCBs as discussed here "http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=53&pid=3" I say might because this review/analysis is based on the hypothesis that there will be no significiant variation within a batch for memory ICs. I'm not an electrical engineer but this claim seems rather shaky to me. It might be true but I wouldn't count on it. Testing with a large sample size would help but this sample size is too small IMHO. However the fact that Corsair etc agree make it seem more likely although this doesn't rule out the possibility they are just making that claim to justify a decision which might actually be a cost cutting measure. In the end tho, I don't think it matters much. Whatever the reason a certain memory module is able to reach whatever it reaches doesn't matter to you.

Thanks for the links!

I agree about that sample's size, just too tiny, and not comparing sticks from same manufacturer using different PCBs, and even not saying anywhere that all those tested individuals share the same ICs. They're supposed to be all tccds but it's not stated and with Corsair you rarely get to know what's inside as they can change everything but continue to sell the sticks without renaming them at all.

In my case I just wanted to know what inside them could make this pcbs enhance the overclocking capabilities in comparison to the standard ones, just if that was more than simple "binning magic"

I tried using the yellow slots with my UTT memory but they would not give me any volts beyond 2.7. There were errors in SuperPI and MemTest. I moved them to the orange slots and all is well. They are working up to 3.2v now.

just talked with the Crazy One - One last final today (course he hasn't been to bed yet) and then he is packing up for the move back home.

I would imagine soon if he can pull himself away from WoW.