anyone heard of TEC cooling?

hey all,

i was talking to my tech teacher today about my rig and the slightly high temps i am getting on my cpu and he suggested Thermal Electric Cooling, ive never heard of it in computers but it is in those coolers that can plug into cigaret lighters in the car...

he said its basically a p-n semiconductor that when put under voltage is endothermic (sucks in heat)

he said the only problem might be that they draw a fair bit of current.. but he said it would probably be better than air cooling.

i was just wondering if anyone had heard of this or had tried it...

thx

It's very good cooling, but it's very hard to run 24/7. You need a separate PSU most of the time to run the unit, and condensation is a big problem because you're cooling below ambient. You'd need to do a lot of insulation for it and it can be a real pain in the arse.

Just get some good water cooling, it will save yourself a lot of trouble. If you've never done WC'ing before, then definately do that first, because it's kind of a logical progression. Air -> Water -> TEC. Get the experience first, then maybe later go to TEC.