couple questions on first amd build...

Take another thought on what HDD to use... Maxtor doesn't support nVidia chipset... So U would be better off getting something else...

hey guys just doing my first AMD build here's what I bought so far:

- THERMALTAKE SOPRANO VB1000SWS MIDTOWER SILVER ATX CASE

- FORTRON FSP/SPI FSP550-60PLN-R 550W EPS12V 24PIN POWER SUPPLY

- THERMALRIGHT XP-90 w/ PANAFLO 92MM HIGH SPEED COOLING FAN 2850RPM 56.8CFM 35DBA 3PIN WITH RPM SENSOR

- MAXTOR DIAMONDMAX 10 200GB HARD DRIVE 7200RPM 9MS 8MB ATA133

- PIONEER DVR-109 DVD BURNER

- MSI NX6600GT-TD128E VIDEO CARD GEFORCE 6600 GT PCI-E

- DFI NF4 SLI-DR MOTHERBOARD

- 2*512 MB OCZ PC4000VX RAM

- AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ PROCESSOR S939 VENICE

now I just had a couple of question to ask you guys.

1) I'm assuimng this board will come with the 1/25 bios, if so will I be ok to install windows and then flash bios or should I flash right away from the cd-rom image I grabbed from the post with all the firmwares? I assume 510-2 would be best with this ram?

2) will default bios settings at least get me into windows after the install (ram settings, etc)

3) use orange or yellow slots for these sticks of ram??

4) The install of this heatsink on a p4 system was extremely easy, will removing the bracket be a pain, and does the xp-90 come with the screws to screw down the k8 adapter ?? Also should I plug the 3 pins this fan comes with right into the mobo, my last fan had a molex connected so I connected it to the psu (I dont wanna overload the mb or something)??

5) what kind of noticeable difference would there be from using this hdd as opposed to newer sata or raptors??

6) do the onboard jumpers for sli defaut to a single gfx card setup in the top slot?? also will purchasing another msi 6660gt be really beneficial or is it better off to wait until next gen cards come around??

7) I'm aiming at 250-260*10 htt at 1:1 to get the most out of this ram, is there any type of burn in procedure for this vx ram??

8) if Im able to get say 260*10 will this whip my old p4 2.6C @ 3.2 GHz ??

9) should I even consider installing xp 64 bit at this time ??

9) am I being waaay to paranoid here about this build going wrong??

thanks a lot for any help

4) The install of this heatsink on a p4 system was extremely easy, will removing the bracket be a pain, and does the xp-90 come with the screws to screw down the k8 adapter ?? Also should I plug the 3 pins this fan comes with right into the mobo, my last fan had a molex connected so I connected it to the psu (I dont wanna overload the mb or something)??
As cool as the venice's are running you can do a lot of OC'ing on stock,

however the XP-90 & 92mm 57CFM Panaflo are the best choices. It comes with everything, but AS5.

Power Supply is a good choice.

All will go well. :dog:

Can answer a few of questions.

1) Just bought a board from Monarch last week. The BIOS that was shipped with it was 3/10. Your Board could be different. It booted my San Diego no problem but not sure with Venice. Critical sticky says 3/10 has Venice support. Don't know if you can post with something earlier.

4) The XP90 install was painless. Unscrew the stock retention module (it's not even glued) and use the Thermalright-provided screws. No need to change backplate. No issues whatsoever. I have the Panaflo 92 H BX connected to the motherboard with 3 pin and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Just make sure you connect all 4 power connectors on the MB.

6) Default is single card. I'm not using SLI so can't tell you.

7) Not sure about burn-in, but you better have active cooling with the high Vdimms.

8) I don't think xp64 is worth it at this moment. You can be the guinea pig if you want. ;)

9) I think you will have all the help you need in these forums. The support here is fantastic.

well I got the memory today, everything else should be here tomm, thanks for the input

I guess ill try to install windows on the bios it ships with, Im just wondering if I should burn in this memory using memtest before I go to install the os, and if so what settings to use on this memory (ocz vx pc4000) thanks

thanks

Take another thought on what HDD to use... Maxtor doesn't support nVidia chipset... So U would be better off getting something else...

so I am going to have problems, then ?? This will be the only hdd Ill have at the time...

what he means is Maxtor's tools do not support NV chipsets.

their hdd's work fine on the NVidia chipsets (i have 4 maxtors right now running perfect)

k thats perfect then

what about the ram, have you used this yourself gamer, if so what settings did you use and did you have to burn it in ??

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...551&postcount=4

ive got some more 4000VX that I will be testing when i can get these customer machines in my lab cleared up and sent back ;)

4000VX is excellent stuff...so is the OCZ BH-5 (3200 Gold)

awsome thanks for the entries for the ram, I really appreciate it, now was the 240*11 in that post the max of the ram or the cpu (its gotta be cpu right as ram is guaranteed for ddr500 ??)

well cpu will be here tomm morning, one last quick question:

will the bios cd from this forum self boot and auto flash or will it go to a cmd prompt, and if so whats the command to flash to the 510-2 bios ?? thanks

240*12 you mean?

240*12 is where i stopped testing the 4000 San Diego cpu as I moved it to be my main rig...its a decent overclock (2880Mhz) and this rig is my main rig...i use it for work daily (12+ hour days here at forums, email, web surfing, making crappy web pages, using photoshop, winamp, etc....it gets extremely heavy use for 12+ hours a day).

and i also use it to play PC games, everything from Desert Combat to old Unreal Tournament to Doom3 to Far Cry to Riddick etc.

I have it on an extremely nice Danger Den water setup (both SLI cards and cpu are watercooled) and I am quite sure I can coax more out of it...but 2880Mhz is cool for about 3-4 months of full time use to see if it will hold up under heavy stress.

then I will move the dual core A64 + 2x 6800GT SLI's in as my main rig (takes me about a 30-60 days to qualify a rig as 'stable enough to by my main work/play rig') and then try to bust 3Ghz with this current 4000+ San Diego ;)

to find out about the cd-rom bios flashing, you need to read pershoot's thread in teh BIOS Factory section about it