New System, New Advice

Just realised i haven't posted here for a while. Anyway.. i am getting a new rig soon as my current rig is going to my sister, so i was seeking advice on whats good for overclocking and how far i can go for a decent gaming system. I have read around some overclocking forums other than this and this is what i've got it down to.

A64 3200+ Venice s939

DFI Lanparty Ultra-D

1Gb Geil DDR400 Value with Heatspreaders

200Gb Seagate SATA NCQ

Leadtek 6600GT Extreme PCI-E

Arctic Freezer 64

Thermaltake 480w Silent PurePower PSU

Shin etsu paste

That's what i've got it down to. Need some advice on how to overclock with the Ultra-D board (please ! :rolleyes: ) Also, would you happen to know if the Geil Value chips are better than the Corsairs? I can get both for quite cheap, but don't know which way to go.

Cheers

Yubbo (Aussie's MATE)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Beast

G'day mate :)

Seems a pretty solid system - basing it on the DFI is a good start ;).

Some points if I may:

Consider the 6800GT. As a single card it will last you a lot longer than the 6600 and in SLI it's sublime... I should know.

PSU - Are you planning on running SLI in the future? If so that might need reconsidering.

Arctic Freezer 64 - Is this as good as the Thermalrights XP-90 or XP-120? I haven't done any reading on it in a while, but at last check the XPs were the kings. I use a lapped XP-120 and it's very very impressive for air cooling.

As for the ram... I'm using exclusively BH-5 at the moment, so I can't comment one what you have chosen. I am currently at 255Mhz on my ram (need to update sig).

Ram might not be the be all and end all though... CPU speed is king in the A64 world after all. Make sure you have a read of the thread I started here, and most importantly, read the article it links to. That is a real eye opener.

What is shin etsu? Better than AS5?

Oh, and were are you getting a Venice from in Aus??

Take it easy mate,

Just realised i haven't posted here for a while. Anyway.. i am getting a new rig soon as my current rig is going to my sister, so i was seeking advice on whats good for overclocking and how far i can go for a decent gaming system. I have read around some overclocking forums other than this and this is what i've got it down to.

A64 3200+ Venice s939

DFI Lanparty Ultra-D

1Gb Geil DDR400 Value with Heatspreaders

200Gb Seagate SATA NCQ

Leadtek 6600GT Extreme PCI-E

Arctic Freezer 64

Thermaltake 480w Silent PurePower PSU

Shin etsu paste

That's what i've got it down to. Need some advice on how to overclock with the Ultra-D board (please ! :rolleyes: ) Also, would you happen to know if the Geil Value chips are better than the Corsairs? I can get both for quite cheap, but don't know which way to go.

Cheers

Yubbo (Aussie's MATE)

stay away from anything that says VALUE. Spend a little more money for some performance memory that is known to run well (anything with Winbond BH-5/UTT, or Samsung TCCD). Again, some can get VALUE memory to work...but I cannot recommend anything with a VALUE tag on our NF4 Ultra-D (its like putting low-octane watered-down gas in your Porsche...it might or might not run, and it definitely won't run like it was built to run)

If you have to save an extra week/month to get some decent memory...do it. Period.

Fortron 500w BlueStorm, OCZ 520w Powerstream, Enermax 24-pin 500w or better, Skyhawk 570w etc. Don't get anything less than a true 24-pin psu with a minimum of 480w. TT is good, but those I listed above are what the majority of users here have (big poll buried somewhere in the mobo section about this specific to NF4 users).

Thermalright XP-90 / XP-120 = still the king. Others might be decent (and even good like Zalman) but I think for most, personal opinion goes with THermalright XP- series first, all others second. XP-90 now comes in COPPER flavor too!

X800 PRO (PCI-E)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-102-496&depa=1

is a much better card than a 6600GT. A 6800GT is even better than both of those:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-150-091&depa=1

2x 6600GT's in SLI = can be better than a single X850XT PE (I have 2x Chaintech 6600GT's in SLI that can't beat my X850XT PE in 3dmark01, but sure as heck they can beat the single beastmonster in 3dmark03 and 05, and with the 76.41beta drivers...they just keep getting better and better because of specific profiles for specific 3d applications/games).

*ahem*

as you were!

Wow! Cheers for the heads up.

Just a few notes, i'm on a budget and i can't get the XP-90C here yet, so i have to stick to something cheaper. Plus I LAN around a bit and apparantly the All copper ones are very heavy. That's why i thought the Arctic Freezer 64 was good because from reviews that i've seen, it's better than the Zalman's series and up there with the XP-90. I don't know if this is true.

Umm.... so Geil Value isn't good? I can't really afford the CAS2 Corsairs TwinX style so this or the Geil Values are the best I can do. That's unless you can send me some cheap BH-5 chips (1Gb worth) to Australia :shake:

Leadtek 6600GT Extreme for $280 Aussie (around what... $200 American?) i think is good value, and best at it's price so i'm going to get that i think. The 6800GT's and Pro's are out of my range. But recently i saw some cheap X800XL's about of the Powercolor type. Don't know if they're good though, please advise. That's unless I can mod this Ultra-D somehow and get 6600GT SLI! I also saw this:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/VGA/Products/Pr...GV-RX80256D.htm

Any good?

I already got the 480watt TT Silent PurePower PSU for AU $45 so I'm happy with that.

I'm still waiting for a 3200+ Venice in Aus... about 3 weeks time so I'm just gearing up. And Shin etsu is better than AS5 according to some people on Overclockers Australia.

Got any other idea's on a gaming system on a budgeT?

Yubbo, mate. How ya doing?

Listen, get some good OCZ RAMs, u wont regret it.

As for PSU, i've got Enermax noisetaker 600W. I got it from EYO tech last couple of weeks. Quite good

Knob

id stay away from Corsair...too many users here and in tech email having problems with it (not to mention that every customer that has shipped GEIL, Corsair, and Kingston VALUE memory to me to test has failed and had to get something else)

if you cannot afford it NOW, then just save for an extra week/month until you CAN afford it.

trust me on this. curb your urge to have it now now now now now as you will most likely be unhappy with it (assuming it boots at all or overclocks 1 iota) and then have to spend to get what you really wanted to get the first time.

GEIL Ultra-X 2-2-2-5 stuff is BH-5 last time I checked. VX is good too. Mushkin still makes BH-5 modules.

shop around. There's plenty of good cheap TCCD (do NOT get HyperX TCCD from Kingston...it is the only TCCD that I cannot get to work on our NF4 boards)

ps: STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING LABELED "VALUE"

again...take my word for it...will you be one of the few lucky souls with decent VALUE memory that actually works?

or will you be one of the overwhelming majority that curses the day you bought it thinking that going the cheap VALUE route would satisfy you and now you cant even get a machine running right with it...?

So not even Corsair CAS2's would do?

I can get some cheap Adata DDR500's or Transcend DDR500's. Apparantly really crap timings so not as good as the DDR400's in the first place. Was thinking of the OCZ's but i got a price check on the VX's and they are $200 here for 512mb. I was planning on getting 1Gb for games :shake:

EDIT~

I just found some OCZ Value's that anandtech said wasn't bad.

http://www.macotechnology.com.au/products....=512MB%20DDRRAM

Also i saw some Kingmax chips DDR500's too

http://www.macotechnology.com.au/products....=512MB%20DDRRAM

What you think?

Plus I LAN around a bit and apparantly the All copper ones are very heavy.

the xp120 is very light-weight. just got mine yesterday and couldn't believe how light it feels. it'll be perfect for your LANs!