[Resolved]NF4 Ultra-D - Which PCI-E Slot?

hmmm

SLI moddable motherboards runs the bottom slot at x16 without moving the jumpers

moddable boards or modded boards? I have an Ultra-D Rev A02 and after SLI mod it shows up as Ultra-D/SLI in bios and Everest.

SAE, was Kahn's board modified by closing the gap or was it stock? Was his the standard Ultra-D or one of the big boy types?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wise words grasshopper. :)

Actually your post got me thinkin. Frozen CPU got their Arctic Silencer 5's in (for X800XL series) yesterday so it should arrive here late Friday afternoon. But of course now I'm leaning towards having Viper John performing his magic on the X800XL. :)

So if you're interested in the Arctic Silencer let me know via PM and maybe we can cut a deal on a virgin (sealed) fan in the future.

@rhiridflaidd - yes, I agree it would be great to get some input on results from other members. SAE has me convinced it's 16x but I will test this weekend. I just spent hours on cable management and setting up the internal LCD. Hate to have to remove everything again but I need some pics of the card for VJ anyway so I promise to give it a go.

I already have a silencer 4 for the X800 seriies only waiting for me.. I just dont have the gets as of the moment to remove the stock cooler of the GECUBE X800XL coz they are on so tight, they used thermal adhesives on the mems, scary to take out so ill wait a few weeks later. Im stil just bout to finished setting up new system now installing all my aps and games and'ol. So I guess around two weeks that'll be enough time for me to build some strength to pull it off, literally pulling it off hehehe :-D

hmmm

moddable boards or modded boards? I have an Ultra-D Rev A02 and after SLI mod it shows up as Ultra-D/SLI in bios and Everest.

SAE, was Kahn's board modified by closing the gap or was it stock? Was his the standard Ultra-D or one of the big boy types?

He also has the rev A02 Ultra-D. Nothing spectacular. ;)

And it's not modded. We ATI guys don't need that at the moment :D

• 5 months later...
Guest ElAguila

Was a definitive answer ever gotten on this issue. According the the ultra d manual on page 70 this board with dual graphics xpress supports 2 pcix x16 graphics cards but it never says how fast they run. It just doesn't make sense to me that this is a non-sli board but that you would have set sli jumpers for the bottom slot to run faster.

This is all over this forum if you search.. !!

But im gona go over it again..

With the jumpers in the standard position.. The top slot is 16x and the bottom slot is 2x..

With the jumpers in the SLI position .. BOTH slots are 8x..

If you really need to use the bottom slot then you would want to move the jumpers to the SLI position and use it at 8x..

There is NO WAY to get the bottom slot OR both slots to work at 16x..

There is no difference in performance when using a 16x slot to a 8x slot.. Nothing we do now even comes close to saturate the 8x slots bandwidth not to mention the 16x slot.. If you search the forum there is a thread where someone did some benchies to compare and the score was the same running in the 8x and 16x slot..

Guest ElAguila

I found this thread by searching. In the threads I found there is a lot of conflicting information out about this. Thanks for your clarification on it. I just thought it kind of odd that a non-sli board would have sli jumpers to be set.

I found this thread by searching. In the threads I found there is a lot of conflicting information out about this. Thanks for your clarification on it. I just thought it kind of odd that a non-sli board would have sli jumpers to be set.

There is no difference in the SLI and non-SLI board. The difference is in the NF4 chip. It is supposed to be easily modifiable to SLI as well. There is a thread on how to do it in the mods forum.

This is all over this forum if you search.. !!

But im gona go over it again..

With the jumpers in the standard position.. The top slot is 16x and the bottom slot is 2x..

With the jumpers in the SLI position .. BOTH slots are 8x..

If you really need to use the bottom slot then you would want to move the jumpers to the SLI position and use it at 8x..

There is NO WAY to get the bottom slot OR both slots to work at 16x..

There is no difference in performance when using a 16x slot to a 8x slot.. Nothing we do now even comes close to saturate the 8x slots bandwidth not to mention the 16x slot.. If you search the forum there is a thread where someone did some benchies to compare and the score was the same running in the 8x and 16x slot..

I can verify this information, BUT I also want to add to this more details.

I use an LSI PCIe 8x SCSI RAID adapter in my Ultra-D along with an nVidia 7800GT. The 7800GT is in the top PCI-e slot the LSI in the bottom. Right now the 7800GT is running at 8X and the LSI at 2X.

But if I move the SLI jumpers over to SLI mode to try and get 8X bandwidth for the 8x LSI card, the card won't even be recognized by the BIOS. It seems when in SLI mode ONLY VIDEO CARDS are useable in either PCIe 16x slot. Yes I did try reversing the cards. Video in bottom and RAID in top. The RAID card is not recognized in either slot while in SLI mode.

Thus I'm stuck with a 8x PCIe RAID card in a 2x PCIe slot. :mad:

Vidmar