The ULTIMATE MBM 5 Settings/Help Thread

soundx98

Okay, lets start over with a simpler inquiry.

Has anyone succeeded in getting MBM 5.370 to recognize the SMBus and any monitoring devices connected to it on either NF3 Ultra-D or NF4 Ultra-D based motherboards?

Thanks,

Hoot

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, lets start over with a simpler inquiry.

Has anyone succeeded in getting MBM 5.370 to recognize the SMBus and any monitoring devices connected to it on either NF3 Ultra-D or NF4 Ultra-D based motherboards?

Thanks,

Hoot

I far as I know nobody never tried - it is not a common procedure :P . As you can see I was interested in it but could not get the parts needed...

Run settings -> system info -> sysinfo & post here

Run settings -> system info -> debug dumps -> SMB bus & post here

Can I have some more info about your monitoring setup ? Is the maxim part of some self built device or something else? Is it hooked to the nf4 SMBus? More questions to follow ...

^^^^^^

Is there a separate SMBus header on the dfi nf4?

Try updating mobo drivers - NV SMBus drivers come with the package... Give us more info...

I have the current Nvidia chipset drivers installed and reading the SMBus works since Speedfan reads it just fine using giveio.sys

Most, if not all motherboard manufacturers, in order to shave another few pennies from the cost of manufacturing, have discontinued providing an SMBus header. Take heart though, you can still access the SMBus from the DIMM slots Pins 92 and 91. Either strip off an old DDR module and solder to the appropriate edge connector pins and put it in an unused DIMM slot, or as I did, just Carefully solder to the backside of the board. You can get a ground connection on pin 89 and use shielded sub-miniature two conductor cable. I use some very small balanced microphone cable for this task, approximately 2mm outside diameter. Very easy to route to your external diode reader, but you also need to pick up +5V somewhere to power the chip.

Hoot

Most, if not all motherboard manufacturers, in order to shave another few pennies from the cost of manufacturing, have discontinued providing an SMBus header. Take heart though, you can still access the SMBus from the DIMM slots Pins 92 and 91. Either strip off an old DDR module and solder to the appropriate edge connector pins and put it in an unused DIMM slot, or as I did, just Carefully solder to the backside of the board. You can get a ground connection on pin 89 and use shielded sub-miniature two conductor cable. I use some very small balanced microphone cable for this task, approximately 2mm outside diameter. Very easy to route to your external diode reader, but you also need to pick up +5V somewhere to power the chip.

Hoot

I figured they didn't put it on... I knew about the soldering & DIMM methods, but using the unused DIMM slot is new to me - excelent idea as I don't want to solder anything to the mobo... Not that it makes any difference becouse I can't find any sensor chip in my local store :sad:

I'll try once more ;) :

Run settings -> system info -> sysinfo & post here

Run settings -> system info -> debug dumps -> SMB bus & post here

-snip-... Not that it makes any difference because I can't find any sensor chip in my local store :sad:

I'm not sure how secure the postal system is over there, but if you can help me solve my particular mystery, I'll send you a MAX6657. It is only 1 local and 1 remote channel, but it is better than nothing. I purchased mine online from MAXIM. They also will send samples, though I'm not sure how that works to overseas designers.

With my setup, I have the MAX6658 chip actually bonded to my WB inlet water supply hose to monitor water temperature. The remote channel, as I said, goes to the CPU. Though I have grown accustomed to Speedfan these past few months, I still pine for my MBM dashboard. :)

I am at work right now, but when I get home, I'll post my system information as it applies to the SMBus. At the risk of being redundant, it works fine with Speedfan, so I doubt my system is not communicating with the SMBus.

Thanks,

Hoot

I'm still not clear on whether the maxim is being seen at all by sysinfo and whether you tried the remote codes I mentioned.

I assume you've tried various things such as disabling (in advanced settings) checking for smbus before primary chip?

edit: a posted copy of that speedfan SMbus scan might conceivably be helpful also.

I'm still not clear on whether the maxim is being seen at all by sysinfo and whether you tried the remote codes I mentioned.

I assume you've tried various things such as disabling (in advanced settings) checking for smbus before primary chip?

I'm sorry, I forgot to remark on that. I tried all the MAX6657/8/9 remotes as well as local codes, as well as MAX1617 and 1617a and MAX6651 codes, all of which, use the SMBus. All to no avail.

I did not disable checking the SMBus before the primary chip since I do not care about the primary chips readings and wanted the SMBus to have priority. Am I misunderstanding what that checkbox is for?

Thanks,

Hoot

The box forces checking the smbus BEFORE the primary chip. it defaults to checked. You might try unchecking it. I never tried so I can't say what the effect will be but I can imagine it somehow effecting your situation if the smbus is being read remotely.

hi guys

need a little help here

i followed the links and after a struggle to find the correct sensor to the cpu reading i downloaded the .dll file to use nvidia plugin...

didnt work...

everything is working fine except for the gpu reading......zero

could u guys give me a hand

thnxs

Guest dzikson

I'm having a problem with HDD temp. I'm running 2 raptors in Raid0. Would that make it incompatiblie with MBM? I did everything you said but I still have a 0, and if I go into temps I don't have a sensor for HDD. I'm thinking its because of Raid. Or am I doing something wrong?

I'm not sure how secure the postal system is over there, but if you can help me solve my particular mystery, I'll send you a MAX6657. It is only 1 local and 1 remote channel, but it is better than nothing. I purchased mine online from MAXIM. They also will send samples, though I'm not sure how that works to overseas designers.

Thanks for the offer :) , but I don't think it will be necessary - I checked out maxims site and they can deliver it from UK so it shouldn't cost as much (delivery from US would cost me ~17-20$ for the plain USPS air parcel post).

What would "Standard Shipping (no charge)" stand for in UK :confused: ? If all else fails they deliver through FexEx...

With my setup, I have the MAX6658 chip actually bonded to my WB inlet water supply hose to monitor water temperature. The remote channel, as I said, goes to the CPU. Though I have grown accustomed to Speedfan these past few months, I still pine for my MBM dashboard. :)

Try samurize (see first page) - it works with speedfan too...

I am at work right now, but when I get home, I'll post my system information as it applies to the SMBus. At the risk of being redundant, it works fine with Speedfan, so I doubt my system is not communicating with the SMBus.

There ar no redundant informations, post everything you can think of - dumps, screenshots, everything...