Tired of noisy chipset fan? DFI nF4 solution (modem warning!)

GXP345

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

righty then! - finally sorted - took me two weeks like but what the eck :rolleyes: This block defo fits on the DFI SLI-DR - I even went to the extent of checking it fits between the high caps on the mainbaord :) good news....

Couple of points to note: -

A)- Make sure you double check the barbs don't leak - had to flush my system 3 times like to finally get them to stop - oh yer - loads of that PFTE tapeh stuff helps :)

B)- Dont tighten the nuts (the ones that hold the block to the motherboard) too much! - when I first set it up - My chipset idled around 50 dergrees C!!!! - Basically - after a re-fit I'd realised i'd tightened the nuts too much and the block wasnt making contact with the core properly....

heres some pics:

chipset00.JPG

chipset01.JPG

chipset02.JPG

chipset03.JPG

and finally temps - please note - my system runs one crossflow fan only (apart from the rad fans) - love these temps under load:

chipset04.JPG

thanks to www.coolercases.co.uk for the block - been waiting ages for this! :nod:

check the following link for more info - temps etc.

http://coolercasesuk.co.uk/showthread.php?p=11266#post11266

Ive just made mine...dont have pics yet tho...i have to lap the base of the heatsink before mounting it...also...dont have long screws yet. its made from a Spire WhisperRock 4 that i had left from my old rig.

Im posting pics as soon as i get thos screws.

Wow...great thread. Somebody has a lot of time and resources on his hands. Impressive. Is the cut-out "gap" on the arctic chipset mod large enough to fit 7800GTX X 2 SLI in between?

Thanx, and no.. the cooler on page one I did works with any SLi config :)

these magnetic-driven chipset fans are supposed to outlast a normal ball-bearing fan. Mine is super quiet inside the case also.

At first, I didn't know which fan was making the noise but I figured out it was the mobo fan. The thing sounds like a bloody siren when I start gaming, I kid you not.

I'm still reading up on what I'd like to replace it with. I'd love to have passive cooling but I need to beef up my case air flow. Evercool could be an option as well.

does anyone knows the size of the chipset mounting holes?...i just dont want to take appart my comp to measure it...so HELP! :P

The size of the holes is 3mm. If you look at page 14 I have made a draving that explain the holes.

Just added more cooling on my mainboard (see pic)

size.jpg

size.jpg