Have DFi Nf4 Ultra D, need your thoughts on video cards

Sparx

i got the bba x800xl partially because it has a 3yr warranty also because it was at msrp :) i wouldnt buy sapphire again, their rma dept can be a pain plus they only have a 1 yr warranty. The times i've delt with ati's tech support/rma they've been very helpfull

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got the bba x800xl partially because it has a 3yr warranty also because it was at msrp :) i wouldnt buy sapphire again, their rma dept can be a pain plus they only have a 1 yr warranty. The times i've delt with ati's tech support/rma they've been very helpfull

BbATI's generally cost a little more but their RMA process is about as painless as it gets if

you ever need it while Sapphires can be a real pain in the rear end.

Viper

Myabe later I head back to Fry's and get the BB ati x800XL.

I had the BB ATI 9800 Pro never had problem with it, wanted to stay all Nvida this time because of drivers but I have not read about any ATI driver issues of late. Peeps have said ATI drivers are hard to kill if you want to go from ATI to Nvida.

Speaking of drivers what is the current choice for X800XL drivers?

Appreciate the inputs guys.

sparx

Myabe later I head back to Fry's and get the BB ati x800XL.

I had the BB ATI 9800 Pro never had problem with it, wanted to stay all Nvida this time because of drivers but I have not read about any ATI driver issues of late. Peeps have said ATI drivers are hard to kill if you want to go from ATI to Nvida.

Speaking of drivers what is the current choice for X800XL drivers?

Appreciate the inputs guys.

sparx

Other way around. Going from nVidia to ATI can be a nightmare sometimes when it comes to

getting ATI card to work right afterwards. I noticed that everytime I did an NV card and tried

to go back to ATI. Fortunately I dual boot here with Win98 so I just used it to Zip up my entire

WinXP install before contaminating it with the NV drivers. When I was done with NV cards I just

deleted the dirty XP install and then replace it with the saved Zip file backup.

I have been using the Cat 5.1's here on a DFI NF4 for testing PCIe cards and they have worked

well.

Viper

Hey - first I have a question - what does BB stand for before ATI?

Second - I bought an ATI X800XL 256MB DDR3 PCIe from Microcenter for $299 plus $10 shipping and no tax (since they don't have a store in KY but there is one 15 miles north of me in Cincinnati). I called them up and they charged my cc $309.99 and I had it at my doorstep the next day - retail packed with all accessories, etc. Mine is straight up ATI (i.e. not made by ASUS, MSI, etc.) with Samsung memory chips on it - is that maybe what BB stands for? or is it brown box? thanks.

Other way around. Going from nVidia to ATI can be a nightmare sometimes when it comes to

getting ATI card to work right afterwards. I noticed that everytime I did an NV card and tried

to go back to ATI. Fortunately I dual boot here with Win98 so I just used it to Zip up my entire

WinXP install before contaminating it with the NV drivers. When I was done with NV cards I just

deleted the dirty XP install and then replace it with the saved Zip file backup.

I have been using the Cat 5.1's here on a DFI NF4 for testing PCIe cards and they have worked

well.

Viper

Thanks for the info on the Cat's.

This "Zip" of the OS is interesting. Would this be the equivalent of my making a Ghost image or is this a ZIP of a seqment of the OS?

sparx

Thanks for the info on the Cat's.

This "Zip" of the OS is interesting. Would this be the equivalent of my making a Ghost image or is this a ZIP of a seqment of the OS?

sparx

Hmmm. It's not really a ghost (I had never used Norton Ghost) as I believe that is just a copy

of your existing OS on another drive. With Ghost you can restore the system while you are

using the same OS I think.

You can't do that using the Zip file method. You have to have a dual or tri boot setup so you

can zip up and then restore one OS install while operating from different OS install. For me that

is very easy as I tri boot Win98se, an install of WinZP with APIC and APCI enabled at setup and

another WinXP install with APIC and APIC disabled at setup.

Viper

:(

Got the ATI X800XL.

Since I had an Nvidia 6600gt in the rig I did a complete Windows XPsp2 install.

I installed the 5.2 cat drivers and found the included Control Center is NOT compatable with the X800XL so I deleted them.

Another problem, which concerns me more, is that 3Dmarks2003 will not run since I installed the X800XL. I receive the "Must close" Windows XP error message box with the "Send Report " "Don't Send" buttons at the bottom.

So, I deleted the 5.2 cats and installed them again no change. I deleted the 5.2 cats installed the 5.1 cats with no change.

3Dmarks03 ran fine with the 6600gt card. I am at a loss.

I did run 3dMarks2001 complete, got 26,582; you guys were right better than the 6800gt!

In additon ATI's website suggests owners of X800XL cards use Control Center from the video card CD. You cannot install only the Control Center, the driver box will not uncheck. If you can help with that it would be appreciated as well.

sparx