PCIe 16x Slot | SATA Raid 0 Performance

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

superbe! The DFI Support E-Mail form is 'down' (doesn't work, only givin Java errors back)

what's the correct DFI Support E-Mail adress?

it's really going to drive me nuts, i'm working on this problem every evening just after coming home 'til going to bed[and that's late]^^

thx & cya

EDIT:

Does anybody know how to ENABLE/DISABLE NCQ? would like to try that out...

I think in the windows device manager under serial ATA controller

right! trying it out right now, thanks!

(it's called NVIDIA nForce4 ADMA Controller, not serial ATA controller ;-) )

cya

EDIT: after benching again; still the same problems.

• 1 month later...
that's weird^^... and really bad, because i want to use this machine as LAN-Fileserver (for bigger Files)...

I wouldn't recommend using RAID 0 for a fileserver. Especially, a RAID 0 of four drives (which quadruples a chance of failure!). In fact, I wouldn't recommend using it for anything other than temporary stuff, like scrap space for video files, etc.

Let me suggest RAID 1+0 instead.

Leo

I wouldn't recommend using RAID 0 for a fileserver. Especially, a RAID 0 of four drives (which quadruples a chance of failure!). In fact, I wouldn't recommend using it for anything other than temporary stuff, like scrap space for video files, etc.

Let me suggest RAID 1+0 instead.

Leo

i know what i'm doing.

i do not fear losing all the data...

@A_G: Thanks for this information! Will read me through it completely this evening...

but 1 thing: My Maxtor DM10 are S-ATA1, with NCQ. So i probably will not be able to use 3GB/s..?!

I noticed a 20 to 30MB/s drop @ avg. seq. read from MSI NF3 250GB Board to DFI NF4 Ultra-D...

cya

just my opinion but arent you getting a little obsessive about this? 250 vs 450 hdtach? dont sweat the small stuff man. have you actually noticed a difference when loading apps, games, whatnot?

very truly yours,

politenessman

250 vs. 450MB/s = 100%: 180%

it's not about what i notice. Because it's not about my usual use of the machine. It's only about lan-parties. There it is a seeding machine. So it should have a transfer speed as high as possible.

It's not really about the burstrate. The burstrate doesn't matter so much. Burst is read out of the cache, the cache is 4x8MB = 32MB. That would mean reading the _full_ Cache is a difference from 0.128s : 0.071111s - you (and i) will not notice any difference.

But who knows what affects this has on NCQ?

usually u're not benching with NCQ relevant methods... but if you want to read more than 1 file @ time from 1 HDD NCQ will have (slightly big) (positive) influences on bandwith...

also notice, that the Bandwith is lower than with my previous rig (MSI K8N Neo NF3 250GB). That's just not what i've expected, and not why i imported my DFI NF4 Ultra-D etc.etc.^^ ;-)

and, after all, i'm just a nerd^^

cya

In respect to your pci-e NB watercool problem.......Dangerden are now doing a NB block to fit this Mobo.

Ring them and ask to speak to justin....he will advise you

New WC NB block that WILL allow you to use slot 1 pci-e :)

topboy

• 10 months later...

There is an extensive RAID article on the AnandTech website.

What they have found is that command queueing (NCQ or TCQ) actually slows down a RAID 0 array.

Command queueing works best in a multi-user environment, so command queueing is bad on a client PC but is good on a server PC.

If your drives support it, you can enable/disable command queueing in Device Manager under the SCSI Properties tab for the Disks category.