Lanparty 250Gb need help...seems to be big prob around here

experiencethis

Glad you got your board running!

Looking at the replies to this post and to others on this forum I'm seeing the PSU labeled as the primary culprit in far too many of the no boot problem listed. Sure an underpowered PSU can cause a wide variety of problems but even the worst no name should be able to boot a board on the bench with very little else running off the PSU. So knowing this I would always recommend a minimalist boot up attempt before replacing anything.

Speaking of PSU requirements - I've got a Lanparty UT 250GB retail box sitting here and nowhere on the box is a listing for a 450W+ super PSU required. Nor is there such a requirement listed with any online vendors product description. After this I would think that any AMD approved PSU for the specified processor would be adequate to at least run the board. If this is really not the case then DFI should fess up and let any potential buyer know they need to spring for a good?? PSU before buying the board. Then you won't get postings by people with 300W PSU's complaining about board issues or if they do just ask them to read the board package.

As always - IMHO

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ztech,

I see a little problem with your logic requiring DFI (or any mobo manufacturer) to post PSU requirements.

Building a killer rig with a "generic" PSU is like putting street tires on a race car.

Your system will only be as good as its weakest link.

These new mobos loaded with lots of RAM and fast procs are electrical hogs. When you add optical drives and fast hard drives you increase the load.

Throw in a top level video card, a cathode light and some case fans and you have just about doubled the electrical requirements of a generic box.

About 30 percent of the problems I encounter in these "hot" boxes are related to the PSU. Another 30 percent or so are related to memory problems. The rest are a mix of the rest of the components.

Everyone wants there new rig up and running as soon as they get the parts. That's human nature at work.

If everyone took things a step at a time and validated their system as they go along, there would be less problems.

But that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Hehehehehehee. Deeyam straight!

If everyone took things a step at a time and validated their system as they go along, there would be less problems.

Since I switched to highpower power supplies the setting up and running the big numbers has become oh so much easier. I did not come here to rest on the porch either. I jump off ary now an agin. Hehehehehe. SLI too rich for my blood though to run with the big dogs this time and each successive upward thrust in speed and goodies from now on out for an enthusiast is going to cost some mighty good limbs. Heheheheheehe. Good show "roadiemanex".

RGone...

experiencethis,

Which PQI module did you buy? I'm running a pair of the Turbo PC3200 with 2.5-3-3-8 SPD at 225 right now. The SPD timings make a difference as to which modules are on the DIMM.

You may have done all these things but I can't find it in the posts. If you did, just ignore this post.

Did you try every memory slot? Have you reset the CMOS according the the stickie? Have you followed the directions for loading BIOS defaults?

Before you send the PQI RAM back make sure you follow the instructions to the letter. You may find that the memory is OK.

Just a note for PSU go by specs and quality not Wattage numbers. You can get a 500 W PSU which is weaker then you got already and you can get a 350 W that is far superior. It all depends on where on which lines they put the power. How they spec it if it´s at like 10 degree Celsius or in real operating temps as well as quality of components of course.

My mom always told me get a PSU with 18A min when overclocking an A64 system :D

Do some research. Here is a link to the "HardOCP Power Supply Forum . There is probably 95% opinion and the rest are facts. But you will get a good feel for what is working for people and what is not. Look for posts from Ice Czar. He seems to be extremely knowledgable when it comes to Power Supplies.

Also as a side note the Ultra-X connect is a rebranded Powmax. It's pretty and all but just does'nt have a very good reputation.

ok...well i really dont know anything more about my RAM than what i've told u so far, pretty much because they dont put the stuff that u are asking for on the box...but i know that the RAM is perfectley fine because i put it in my Dell the system boots up and works without a hitch...i think im gonna go back to the stickies and look at everything and try all that stuff..

Guest culinist

That power supply is very weak on the 12v rail. ANd these A64's need a strong one. I would, if you can, order up a Fortron 520 or a nice heavy PSU, before going any further.

I have one of those PSU's (Raidmax) that came with a case and have never even plugged it in. Compared to my fortron it seems like a feather compared to a hunk of lead.