hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

@inphared

Two Raptors in RAID-0 is the absolute best performance you can buy.

Two Hitachi 80GB SATA 3.0Gbps drives in RAID-0 is the second best you can buy.

Just about any drive will get the job done for storage.

I got 90% of the Raptor performance from my Hitachi drives for 1/3rd the cost. I thought that was a pretty good deal since I didn't need the "absolute best".

Game/level load times are dependent upon the weakest link in the chain. If you run RAID-0 on a weak controller, chipset, CPU or less than 1GB RAM, you won't see much improvement.

The onboard RAID in the nF4 chipset, A64 processors and at least 1GB of RAM combine to give you significant performance gains in game/level load times.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@inphared

Two Raptors in RAID-0 is the absolute best performance you can buy.

Two Hitachi 80GB SATA 3.0Gbps drives in RAID-0 is the second best you can buy.

Just about any drive will get the job done for storage.

I got 90% of the Raptor performance from my Hitachi drives for 1/3rd the cost. I thought that was a pretty good deal since I didn't need the "absolute best".

Game/level load times are dependent upon the weakest link in the chain. If you run RAID-0 on a weak controller, chipset, CPU or less than 1GB RAM, you won't see much improvement.

The onboard RAID in the nF4 chipset, A64 processors and at least 1GB of RAM combine to give you significant performance gains in game/level load times.

I agree - the hitachi raid 0 setup has a very good performance/price ratio indeed - I have 2 of the hitachis in raid 0 - 64k cluster size and I absolutely love the performance ! LOVE IT !

I finally got my self a multi-meter, my power supply is fine... the goofy beeps emanating from the seagate was an unrecoverable failure notification, not a voltage deficiency, like suggested by Seagate tech support.

I sent BOTH Seagate 500g 7200.9 drives back to newegg, only one was dying - but since the egg is now out of stock & I received a refund on both of them with no restocking fee! Newegg is always so good to me. I'm replacing them with 2 Hitachi Deskstar 7k500 - a bit more pricey than the Seagate drives but they seem to be: a bit faster, a bit quieter, and less taxing on the PSU. So all is good...

As soon as I get my current project rendered I will upload a comparative analysis between the two set-ups. Seagate vs Hitachi (SATA II 2x500GB RAID 0)

@jpcastro - nothing WRONG with those benchmarks brutha, nothing at all.

Can you tell us what size stripe/cluster you used?

@ExRoadie - dang good answer as always

i used 64k stripecluster size.

my cumputer is very fast i´m not complaining that, but because of other results that i´ve seen i was expecting a little more performence, after all it was a 600€ eur investement.

thank´s

I'm assuming that you set the stripe to 64 and used the default Windows cluster size of 4. Try setting Stripe to 16 if you are using the windows default cluster size.

I think those drives are capable of SATA2 but WD has decided (like Hitachi) to ship them as SATA1. Wouldn't be too surprized if we see a firmware update or some type of "feature tool" down the road for the new Raptors.

Yes, expensive they are. A value? NO.

But so is an FX-57/60. For that matter the DFI boards are more expensive than much of the competition. A Mercedes is more expensive than a Ford. But none can be considered a "bad buy". :D

@jpcastro - Program>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disc Management is you have a partiton that's free on it.

May need to load windows onto an IDE drive, then connect SATA Raid array, format with preferred stripe and cluster and then load windows to it. "Leave intact" when asked to format when loading windows.

Hey, just now I was copying some files on my 74gb raptor when it started making rapid clicking noises and then gave me this message:

bad6gy.jpg

Wtf? What do I do about this? The drive has not been through any physical abuse nor have I screamed at it:nod:. It has made similar noises in the past when I was copying stuff and the progress slowed alot when it was happening, but I thought pff there can't be anything wrong:rolleyes:.

Well what do I do? Do I use a tool to test for errors? And if it finds errors I guess I rma it? and hope they send me a 150gb raptor back:)? How I ended up with this 74gb was when I rma'd a broken 36gb. This 74gb says Recertified on the label, so maybe it had problems that weren't fixed and I hadn't noticed them until now.

So how do I handle this kind of crap?

CRC errors are serious and require your immediate attention.

Most times they are generated by a bad cable or connector. Verify that the cable ends are fully inserted. Swap the cable for another and test again.

Next I would check the controller port. Move the drive to another port and test.

The drive could be failing. Try the diagnostics provided by the manufacturer.

If you really want to know the status of your drive you will have to spend a few bucks.

Spinrite from www.grc.com is just about the best drive tool available. I use it on every drive that comes across my desk. It's worth every penny.

Hey, just now I was copying some files on my 74gb raptor when it started making rapid clicking noises and then gave me this message:

bad6gy.jpg

Wtf? What do I do about this? The drive has not been through any physical abuse nor have I screamed at it:nod:. It has made similar noises in the past when I was copying stuff and the progress slowed alot when it was happening, but I thought pff there can't be anything wrong:rolleyes:.

Well what do I do? Do I use a tool to test for errors? And if it finds errors I guess I rma it? and hope they send me a 150gb raptor back:)? How I ended up with this 74gb was when I rma'd a broken 36gb. This 74gb says Recertified on the label, so maybe it had problems that weren't fixed and I hadn't noticed them until now.

So how do I handle this kind of crap?