hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

Tivot,

id say get the 2 hitachi sata 11 drives and set them in raid0.You can save yourself some money.

From what i see with my setup iam getting just as good results or better than some who are using the raptors in HD Tack.The more drives you use the faster they will go.Take the extra money you save and buy more drives.

My results are on a NF3-250 board that does not support sata 11 drives so iam running at sata 1.50 speeds.I cant waite untill i get my NF4 board to see them in sata 3.0.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that info.

Also, are those Hitachis the drives to get or has the sweetspot moved a little?

I read a bit on NCQ and noticed these drives do not support NCQ. How much of a factor is this?

Also, to keep temp and noise down I want to limit to two drives.

E:Partition edited with correct test was useing 4MB tool Length setting.

I decided to go back through the post and look at benchmark results that were posted to get a idea of there performanece compared to other brands, types, ,raid and stripe & cluster configs. etc,etc. They are actually performing pretty damm good

of course Hitachi sata II in a raid 0 config is smokin!

Here is the story I already have one of the raptors (link below) and after reading about half these post tonight... (headache) I have heard combining drives that aren't alike in RAID 0 can be a ugly matter (as some on put it). so my question is 2 more raptor 36gb or 2 hitachi 80g

Westerm Digital Raptor 36.7gb

Hitachi Deskstar 80GB 7200

Also this will be my first time to install/ experiment with the RAID ect ect :drool:

Thanks, Kemp

note: I know the hitachi's are the brand of choice for price but, i didn't know if having different drives would complicate matters.

Do you guys think that i would get similar results in raid 0 using 3x SAMSUNG SPINPOINT P SERIES 80GB SATA2 compared to 3x hitachi?

i would get the hitachi but cannot find them in canada....

Cant you order them from the US?

I never have a problem if i order from Canada.

Kemp, thats interesting.

I'm not sure of all the ins and outs... but your Raptor is going to be waiting for the other drives.

Say you read part of a file off a stripe on the raptor, then it waits for the data off the other drive, then goes back to the raptor. The raptor is always going to dish out the data first.

To everyone else:

Are these Hitachis still the way to go? Is there better performance to be had with NCQ drives?

Anyone run into failure with 3 drives in a RAID0? You're basically tripling the chance for dataloss. I always worried about doubling my chances in a RAID0 with two drives... but three, I feel like you're just asking for it. The chances of developing a bad sector and affecting your data gets higher.

Cant you order them from the US?

I never have a problem if i order from Canada.

No since i do not want to pay for customs fees, additional taxes, expensive insured shipping (not to mention slow) and finally if there is a problem, returning and RMAing is also a big pain in the @$$.

Kemp, thats interesting.

I'm not sure of all the ins and outs... but your Raptor is going to be waiting for the other drives.

Say you read part of a file off a stripe on the raptor, then it waits for the data off the other drive, then goes back to the raptor. The raptor is always going to dish out the data first.

To everyone else:

Are these Hitachis still the way to go? Is there better performance to be had with NCQ drives?

Anyone run into failure with 3 drives in a RAID0? You're basically tripling the chance for dataloss. I always worried about doubling my chances in a RAID0 with two drives... but three, I feel like you're just asking for it. The chances of developing a bad sector and affecting your data gets higher.

all 3 Hitachi SATA II drives are still functioning in RAID-0 perfectly for me (ive had them...4 or 6 months now?)