hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i didnt lose track of it...i just look above and see his sig which still says 2x drives not 4 ;)

(this is why it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to keep your sig up to date...!)

Sorry I was treating it as a test more than a final build Travis. You would not beleve how many people that PM me about my sig...... well maby you would :tooth:

Sorrento burst speed actualy looks lower mixed bag really especaly with the higher CPU usage. Larger Strype might have ben a better fit with SS enabled.

AG, I stopped saying what overclock I am using since it depends on what room temperature I have... lol, so signature says 200 x 10 only. I guess while testing new hardware the same applies :)

Smokenjoe, hmm... with 16/4 stripe/cluster I am getting terrible ATTO scores now, I am thinking something is wrong (hardware or setup), maybe like ExRodie said the cables need to be replaced.

But with HD Tach the score is quite good:

hdtach26ro.gif

Hmm, maybe its not the hardware whats causing the ATTO low scores but the setup I am using. Anyone know whats best?

/Edit

I upgraded the HDTach result.

Just curious has anyone try 2x Hitachi 160gb sata II? How does it compare to the 80Gb? I'm contemplating getting the 160gb cause... of double the storage for about 60 bucks more. Or are the 2x 160gb slower then the 2x 80gb?

Sorry I was treating it as a test more than a final build Travis. You would not beleve how many people that PM me about my sig...... well maby you would

i know, i was just commenting on the comment about misplacing posts lol.

the first thing i always do is look above and see what is in a user's sig and I just expect it to be correct (in your case it is, but not what you are testing in this thread)

510kut: use the 'search this thread' function to see if anyone has used 160GB SATA II drives in RAID yet ;)

er sorry if it didn't seem like I didn't search, but I did :P. Only came up with a few comments nothing concrete (maybe thats what your trying to point out? lol). Best I got was

"If you buy the larger drives for the lower average seek time you will be disappointed.

If you buy the larger drives for storage they are a great deal but I never store valuable info on an array. I would rather make copies on two drives as a backup."

btw... if there is something concrete I'm gonna feel like a dumbass :P

nah i dont think there is but thats why i suggested searching.

most of us have bought the 80GB just because of the price, and 160GB drives usually dont get a RAID-0, they get a RAID-1 (would be cool to see performance on 2x, 3x, and 4x RAID-1 drives tho i think I already did a couple RAID-1 and RAID-5 setups)

the 160GB SATA II Hitachis are...$85? Very inexpensive and I thought I had ordered one the other day but somehow i clicked on 160GB IDE drive instead grrrrrr

ps: put your specs in your sig please

please check the rules and the Important Info threads stuck to the top of this

section.

If you are looking for help, reading this is the most important first-step for you to take.

this helps us tremendously to help you solve your issue if we can see what is in your system every time

you post:

PLEASE SEE THIS LINK!:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...701&postcount=2

Be as thorough as possible please. Voltages, timings, settings, bios version, etc.

The more information you give us about the problem, and the more details about your hardware in your sig

= more help we can give you.

haha if I end up getting the 160gb I'll be sure to post up my results (after bugging all you to get it setup :P) Raid-1 is mirroring right?

doh on getting the IDE instead of the sata II

oh sorry about my spec thing I wasnt sure if I should put anything cause I actually dont have a DFI board right now I just signed up to ask questions about what I should get etc I plan on getting one before the end of summer and I'm most likely going to go with the dfi nf4 ultra. Should I just put the specs of my current comp (asus mobo.... uhh amd xp 2100+)

Done :) I dont plan on taking anything from this comp onto my new one cause its getting handed down :P But I guess I'll probably take out the dvd-rw and use it a while longer before getting another.