hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

CFX3200-DR RAID-5 (3x80GB Hitachi SATA II) on the ULI controller (v1.2, 5/23-2006 BIOS)

3200dr_raid5_xtc_x2_atto1.gif

3200dr_raid5_xtc_x2_atto2.gif

3200dr_raid5_xtc_x2_hdtach1.gif

3200dr_raid5_xtc_x2_hdtach2.gif

as you can tell, if you compare these results to the original test I did using RAID-5 on the SI3114 controller on the NF4 Lanparty...there's a huge huge difference in reads..but still the same crappy writing performance (but that is to be expected)

the major difference this time is that it does not FEEL slow like the ungodly slow SI3114 RAID-5 *blech*

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my 'test' machine, not the opteron workstation.

I know it is a little off topic, although I was trying to compare my RAID0 with that monster.

I came across bunch of cheap brand new SCA2 15,000RPM SCSI U320 Drives and got 2 different sets, so I can have the best of both worlds. The Fujitsu's are the best for desktop applications and the Maxtors are the best for server applications.

Ultimately, I've decided to bench a RAID50 config with my RAID0 (2 of the newest 150gb raptors).

raid50neither0wc.th.jpg

raid50overlapped3yu.th.jpg

Please share your thoughts.

p.s. I will post the 2xWD150 10,000RPM benches shortly.

The Write speeds look about right for that setup.

The Read speeds are misleading since they're coming right from the cache. That's why you see a constant progression as the test size increases. You haven't maxed out the controllers onboard cache yet.

This is my 'test' machine, not the opteron workstation.

I know it is a little off topic, although I was trying to compare my RAID0 with that monster.

I came across bunch of cheap brand new SCA2 15,000RPM SCSI U320 Drives and got 2 different sets, so I can have the best of both worlds. The Fujitsu's are the best for desktop applications and the Maxtors are the best for server applications.

Ultimately, I've decided to bench a RAID50 config with my RAID0 (2 of the newest 150gb raptors).

Please share your thoughts.

p.s. I will post the 2xWD150 10,000RPM benches shortly.

The Write speeds look about right for that setup.

The Read speeds are misleading since they're coming right from the cache. That's why you see a constant progression as the test size increases. You haven't maxed out the controllers onboard cache yet.

I did RAID0 before I did RAID50

I did it in two different ways:

4x Fijutsu in RAID 0 spanned in raid 0 with the 4x Atlas in RAID0

and straight RAID0 with all 8 drives

I get over 1.7GB/sec at 1024kb in both configs. The seek times seemed better while double spanned.

I will reformat it shortly and will let you know. I need a new cdrom for my test machine since it takes only 12mm laptop drives.

lol neo...always love to see 4x80GB Hitachi SATA II's

i can only fit 3x80 in my Stacker case with the dual radiator I use but I suppose 4x80GB is slightly (majorly lol) overkill

but it is still nice to blow up some RAID speeds with it yes?

I F@$%ing amazing how fast it does things. I do alot of uh......shrinking and unraring, etc and it has cut times in minumum a half. I've never had my pc this "peppy" in general before so imo it was well worth it. I mean I got all for for like $190ish shipped. How can you beat that?? It was easy as hell to setup too, it was harder for me to figure out how to use a singel drive on the Sil chip than anything. Took me a while to see that I needed to set it up as JBOD. I was afraid doing that was going to delete the partitions on it.

So now I have my sweet raid setup and a 250GB storage drive. I setup Acronis to do a weekly backup of the entire thing so any data loss that may result in the furtue I am not worried about.

Also I was wondering how you increase the 2nd value in the 64k/4k I have? I was able to select 64k in the raid setup but I have no idea how to adjust the 4k value. From what I here if I increase it I may see an increase in read speeds for smaller files?

Are we posting the cost as well?

4x new Atlas II U320, 15000RPM, 8MB Cache, SCA2, 4ms seek

4x new Fujistu U320, 15000RPM, 8MB Cache, SCA2, 4.5ms seek

Total Cost $1060 shipped

I am a SCSI fan for a long time and so far I haven't seen a SATA drive (except the new WD150) that can even try to compete. (WD150 vs. Maxtor 10K Atlas IIs)

Also I was wondering how you increase the 2nd value in the 64k/4k I have? I was able to select 64k in the raid setup but I have no idea how to adjust the 4k value. From what I here if I increase it I may see an increase in read speeds for smaller files?

The first number is the stripe size. You set that when you build the array.

The second number is the cluster size. You set that when you format the partition.

Since the array isn't your boot partition, you can format it any time you like.

Obviously save your data first.

When you choose Format, you will be able to select different cluster sizes. Since your stripe is 64K I would start with a 16K cluster for testing then try an 8K cluster and stick with the one that gives you the best performance.

Since you have a four drive array I wouldn't go higher than a 64/16 setup. If you can rebuild your array, I would try a 128K stripe and a 256K stripe.

I have always been a fan of SCSI for RAID, but I dunno.... after playing around with the two 65-dollar Seagate 7200.9 NCQ SATAII 160s for a week, I'm pretty damn impressed and I may have to rethink that. Can you get more speed with a dedicated caching controller on PCIE and/ or with SCSI? Yes, but not for the cost of ZERO (NF4 onboard RAID) on the controller and $130US for the drives.

Seeing these benchmarks, I should have gotten four and run a RAID10 !!!!!!

Not bad for cheap stuff.... :)

Raidatto.jpg

RAID_349.jpg

Ok, I see that the HDTach shot is smallish, so here's the attachment, the numbers are:

123m avg read

349 burst.

Not bad at all.