Northbridge Cooler

Flghtmstr1

Just to put things in perspective.... when I switched to 2x Raptors and 1x Maxtor ATA133..... from 2x Maxtor/adapter Raid0 1x Seagate ATA100....

The side door fan I put in would not START up on powerup..... untill I went into the SuperFlower 550W supply and UP'd the 5+12V rails.

The startup inrush current of the combined new disk setup put so much demand on the 12V line that the fan wouldn't start turning, and also I had some "coldboot" situations where I had to try the power switch a couple times to get it to post. AKA 12V line too strained. The side fan....a low power quiet 120mm is just a SYMPTOM that pointed me toward an issue that ropped up with the system changes.

This folks, is on a 550W asskicker. Now simply upping the rail to 12.5V steady state, and it doesnt dip below 12.05 at max load and all the problems vanished.

Just food for thought on this issue.

Originally posted by RGone

The problem is I "know" one that works. I don't have to spend the dollars for the easier to adjust OcZ power supply. I do not like Antec at all anymore.

So many people had problems with various ATI cards a few weeks ago that I had no idea why they would not work easily. Some got the 9800pro to crank giving them 1.7VAGP in bios and that helped. Many put only one drive and the video card power together on one lead from the power supply and it worked.

RGone...

i ve seen quite a few Sapphire ati cards that need to be on the power lead all by their lonesome and poof the problems disappear :/

if you contact sapphire they send you a bios that underclocks the card by a few mhz (totally . off customers who paid alot of money)

I replaced my NB stock cooler with one from a MSI Board =D (an active one I must add) and it looks sweet as it has blue leds that go with my blue led'ded fan on the 120mm RAD and the Blue on my Xaser III V1000D :D

• 4 weeks later...

I must say I had those "Detecting Array" thingy too!! And, as daysun said, I happen to have a Sapphire 9800Pro. Had some other thingies beside the card on the power lead. Changed that. *Poof* Detecting array every time!!!

Originally posted by psy^

I'm still using passive, but my own custom made solution.

7600^pic007.jpg

It's one of those tall blue Zalman heatsinks with most of the fins trimmed down to fit under the nvSilencer5 on my 6800.

The stock heatsink doesn't fare well at 389HTT :D

lol.

i have done what this dude has done, almost exactly the same except i didnt have to cut out quite as many vanes of the heatsink for the ti4200....

i think that blue sink is called the zalman nb-47j, but it could be a look alike