Ati Drivers

I currently have a Radeon 8500--64mb video card. I have had some trouble with the drivers on certain games (ex: UT2k3) I have heard alot of people having trouble with Radeon drivers. When will ATI make their drivers stable and compatible with most of the programs and games? I also have a Geoforce4 MX 440 --64mb DDR/OpenGl 1.3/DirectX8.1/ in my closet, im thinking of using that for awhile until ATI get their drivers stable...what do you think? I need to find out the clock speeds of the Geoforce4 MX 440 first to see which is better, my Radeon 8500 or Geoforce MX 440

Which driver version are you using? If it is under 3.2 upgrade to the 3.4. Those are the newest from ATI. Try those if you don't have them and see if they give you problems. Other than that tell me more info buddy. And I think the 8500 is a better card off the top of my head.

Your ATI 8500 is DEFINITELY better than the Geforce 4 Mx440. Yeah try the 3.4 drivers. I'm surprised your having problems with it, when I had mine I didn't have any problems with the card. Except when I OC'd it too much and then it was toast. :lol:

I need to find out the clock speeds of the Geoforce4 MX 440 first to see which is better, my Radeon 8500 or Geoforce MX 440

Just because the clock speed is higher doesn't mean that it's better. Look at the 5800 Ultra and the 5900 Ultra. The 5800 has higher core and memory frequencies, but the 5900 0wns it. There's a lot more that determines a cards performance than just clock speeds.

Truth is that ATI still hasn't been able to release decent drivers for any of their cards...I work as a test-engineer in a multimedia test-lab, and we encounter difficulties with ATI drivers on a daily basis.

Truth is that ATI still hasn't been able to release decent drivers for any of their cards...I work as a test-engineer in a multimedia test-lab, and we encounter difficulties with ATI drivers on a daily basis.

Oh boy, a techie trashing ATI drivers. (by the way, I'm a techie too. Want to compare credentials?) Care to give up any more details of your discoveries, or do you just want to throw this in and run.

For my take, and I've used 3dfx, Matrox, nVidia, ATI and other cards of all sorts, I find the latest ATI drivers among the best I've used. I do gaming, not multimedia. But from what I've read, the ATI multimedia stuff blows the nVidia multimedia stuff away.

i have an 9700 and when i updated to the most recent drivers on the net. i started having problems. so i had to go back to the origanal ones that came with the card