Network Problems...

Hey guys, I'm having quite alot of trouble with the onboard lan. The computer starts up recognising no lan connection and there is no green LED on where the network cable plugs in to the motherboard.

Then if i'm lucky the LED will come on after awhile and the connection will establish. However it will not show the other computer as existing on the workgroup and trying to ping it from command prompt does not work. Windows claims that there is a connection there though and pinging the server computer (the one in my sig which i am having these problems with) works fine.

To troubleshoot i've tried using the 5.10 nvidia chipset drivers. I've tried with and without the forceware firewall, with and without entering the mac address in the bios (does 000129F47D0F look roughly like a MAC address? Hope i got the right one), tried to force 100mbps full duplex all to no avail :/. It can't be the cable or other computer (just a 2 computer network with a direct cable) because they work fine when i use a cheapo £10 network card instead of the onboard lan. It would just be nice to free up a pci slot and save myself £10.

Any ideas?

Aha thanks, i'll add the colons in and see if that makes a difference.

As for the BIOS, yeah, i updated to the built in memtest one yesterday so unfortunatly it can't be that :/

Edit: It would not let me enter the colons, is this normal? Also it just seems to ignore me putting it in. I type in the code, hit enter, save and exit bios, go back in to bios and it claims there is no specified MAC address?? :confused:

:confused: are you going to see the MAC address in use? I have never seen a place.

When you put the MAC address in it is without any punctuaion at least when doing so in the Genie Bios.

Sincerely, RGone...

You might have tried this already, but just in case:

Turn off the onboard firewall, or lower the setting to "anti-hacking only". Then you will be able to see the network and other computers. This happened to me at first and took me some time to find out.

• 2 weeks later...

also try this:

go into bios, to this screen in the Genie BIOS Section

nf3_bios9b.jpg

now look on the top side of the AGP slot (cpu side).

look at the two stickers

the one closest to the I/O (printer/serial ports etc) is your MAC address for the NV LAN. Input this number, save and exit.

btw, is this one of those settings that need to be saved twice? When I flashed mine to 10/15, I entered the value without the colons and saved bios, but it didn't save into the bios. The next time I boot, it reverted the value back to disabled.

Luckily, I didn't need to enter the mac address to get my network to work again.

Originally posted by Angry_Games

also try this:

go into bios, to this screen in the Genie BIOS Section

nf3_bios9b.jpg

now look on the top side of the AGP slot (cpu side).

look at the two stickers

the one closest to the I/O (printer/serial ports etc) is your MAC address for the NV LAN. Input this number, save and exit.

Originally posted by Angry_Games

no it will always set it back to disabled after you input the MAC address ;)

Color me confused, here.

I see the wink, so I assume you're joking, but my MAC address won't save either. And it didn't help my network issue either.

Nvidia network manager? Hmmm, I'll take a look.

You really should try the 10/15 or even the official sept bios. I used to have the 8/27 bios too and that caused me TONS of network headache. It gave me such a headache that even when I plug in another nic into it. It would work for like 30 seconds, then BAM, gone. The built in one didn't pull an IP at all. So... I really think an updated bios will solve a lot of your problem.

Originally posted by jedimoto

Color me confused, here.

I see the wink, so I assume you're joking, but my MAC address won't save either. And it didn't help my network issue either.

Nvidia network manager? Hmmm, I'll take a look.