LanParty UT-250GB soon!

Yes I can link you too the thread i heard it from, someone who had the problem, the thread also contains links to other forums with users having similar issues

http://www.punksbusted.com/forums/index.ph...9845&hl=nforce3

http://www.punksbusted.com/forums/index.ph...9417&hl=nforce3

The mention of the gart is in there somewhere , i would like a fix too, because i gotta say i like nforce chipsets now and I will be going 64 in 3 weeks time

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Mekrel

Yes I can link you too the thread i heard it from, someone who had the problem, the thread also contains links to other forums with users having similar issues

http://www.punksbusted.com/forums/index.ph...9845&hl=nforce3

http://www.punksbusted.com/forums/index.ph...9417&hl=nforce3

The mention of the gart is in there somewhere , i would like a fix too, because i gotta say i like nforce chipsets now and I will be going 64 in 3 weeks time

The issue sounds like a problem with the PB code. The gart driver pretty much just

maintains the AGP address translation table and performs the address translation.

Why PB would be catching something there is beyond all reason. If you have enough

on card vid card memory AGP xfer's aren't even used thank god. They are slower

than molassis running uphill at the north pole compared to keeping the textures on

card.

Think you will see the issue addressed fairly quickly by EvenBalance in the form of a

patch as soon as they can sort the wheat from the chaff and nail the the root cause

down (always a ton of fun and cussing lol!)

Viper

i know quite a lot about punkbuster, as i am part of an anti-cheat team that's uhmmm, associated with punkbuster under a very limited basis. i haven't heard much on the issues with punkbuster and the nf3, you think it may be particular to a certain game? what's the error message?

i'm sure this would be correctable by punkbuster or changing some settings.

Originally posted by Kamel

i know quite a lot about punkbuster, as i am part of an anti-cheat team that's uhmmm, associated with punkbuster under a very limited basis. i haven't heard much on the issues with punkbuster and the nf3, you think it may be particular to a certain game? what's the error message?

i'm sure this would be correctable by punkbuster or changing some settings.

I think they are mainly referring to FarCry. It sounds to me that actually correcting

the issue will be easy. Nailing down the combination that produces it and finding the root

cause is what may take the time.

Viper

Originally posted by ViperJohn

I think they are mainly referring to FarCry. It sounds to me that actually correcting

the issue will be easy. Nailing down the combination that produces it and finding the root

cause is what may take the time.

Viper

yea, i got a drift of that by reading the threads about it. not to rag on punkbuster or anything, but those are some lazy people. wouldn't hold my hopes up high for them to give it a good faith effort, they will probably just fix it after everyone is nagging them about it.

edit: one small note, punkbuster checks your cd-key every time a frame is rendered. i can't help but to think the two may be related o_0.

edit: one small note, punkbuster checks your cd-key every time a frame is rendered. i can't help but to think the two may be related o_0.

Gees no wonder things slow down when PB is enabled LOL. I can see checking once then

then checking it twice (a lot of people are naughty instead of nice) but checking it 60 to 100

times a second is kinda ridiculess lol.

John

yea, i've always thought that was absolutely retarded myself. i can't possibly see the advantage of it. i guess it's not too big of a problem since it's cached in your memory so it doesn't need to actually access the hard drive... still dumb though.

i don't like a lot of things punkbuster does. the protection is really quite stupid and can be evaded *very* easily. if you want your cheat to not be detected with punkbuster, it's not hard to do. i think it negates the whole purpose of being punkbuster. of course, pb is still good for server administration (banning etc) and controlling the use of client cvars.

lets just say that i can't even give punkbuster the same credit as a virus scanner's protection. a virus scanner will atleast attempt to recognise viruses that have been modified (they examine what the code does to see if it's malicious or not, forget exactly what that's called).

anyway, i'm being shadey on the details on purpose, don't want any potential cheaters out there finding a loophole :P lol.

edit: for inquiring minds, i work on the etpro mod team for enemy-territory. i work specifically in the IAC department detecting cheats and figuring out "intelligent" ways to get rid of them. i don't want to say very much more than that though, basically i'm just a beta tester i do no coding on etpro.

yea, i've always thought that was absolutely retarded myself. i can't possibly see the advantage of it. i guess it's not too big of a problem since it's cached in your memory so it doesn't need to actually access the hard drive... still dumb though.

Even with it cached in memory that still is a lot CPU cycles being sucked up to read the

memory and do the compares no good reason that I can see lol.

I could see it being a problem with a 512k machine that is has to use virtual memory

in games. Theorectically anyway that cached info could get swapped out to the HD

in a low memory system although as hard as those memory addresses would be

getting hammered I kinda doubt it would be though.

Viper

i was curious and checked with the guys just now. apparently pb has fixed that, heh. more specifically:

i think i recall you saying that pb checks your cd key every frame that's rendered... am i remembering correctly or am i crazy?

lol

<|Rain|> it used to

<|Rain|> they seem to have fixed that

don't know what games that applies to, i'd say they fixed it because he found out. they tend to put things off, haha.

i was curious and checked with the guys just now. apparently pb has fixed that, heh. more specifically:

don't know what games that applies to, i'd say they fixed it because he found out. they tend to put things off, haha.

They fixed the reading of the CD Key every frame or they fixed the Gart driver issue...assuming

that is the real cause???

Viper

no, they fixed the reading the cd key every frame issue... wether it is related to the problem with the gart drive or not i have no idea.

sorry about my improper pronoun usage, lol.

Clear as a bell now!!!

Viper