nForce2 Tweaker V0.2 - Online

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooh, tictac, I just remembered ...

from what I have read, every PCI device has an SPD equivalent with PCI latency stuff in it ...

can you write a program that acesses every device on the PCI bus and read the lowest and highest recommended PCI latency for the devices? then we can get Oskar to program it into a BIOS and we can adjust it so all devices are happy :)

I tried the version 0.25 and it still not seems to make the values stick by any way :( As soon as I reboot, they are gone.

Futhermore, they are still not helping me to get rid of the audioclicks I experiencing at poor 210Mhz FSB/66Mhz AGP (i suppose 33Mhz PCI then) while folding, typing, playing RealPlayer 2gold movie and some surfing... :(

tictac, if this is any use, I use Win2k SP3 - dunno if this help, but they have winnt directory and not windows - that is basicaly the difference...

I dubt there is any other differences by acessing the registers - except maybe that Im loged as administrator - could be :rolleyes:

I verified your tweaker tweaked the PCI latency well, up to 128 I tried, but the audioclicks are there still... :(

At least 8rdavcore verified the PCI latency I set into your tweaker... So it seems work, just the values not stick.

(and not help into my case :rolleyes: )

deception`` - maybe. Try. I got the same nasty problem. In 5+1 speaker set, all clicks are into the left speaker ONLY. Weird. Could be even a driver issue or something?! :rolleyes:

200Mhz working fine. 210+ - clicks. Damn.

I think is time to try - paradoxicaly - higher AGP (and therefore even PCI) clocks... :confused:

Hey, clicks happen only when I do certain activities.

I can do then on 200Mhz and no clicks.

210 means clicks.

No way related to any connector. Besides, my AC3 output never allow me so easily to change the speakers - L and R channels are both on one of the there 3.5" jacks...

Noone.... not sure with no tech reference what Slew/Drive means..but Im ASSUMING :nod: (never a good thing) that 15 means highest setting and 0 means lowest.

So for SLEW rate 15 would mean to SLAM the bus from HIGH-LOW or LOW-HIGH as fast as you can, while 0 would mean GENTLY slam the bus LOW-HIGH HIGH-LOW.

In the world of electronics, busses, etc the faster your edge transitions the more "bounce" and "over/under-shoot" you can get at the signal transition point. these are bad things if too much. You are forever faced with a compromise.... you want to transition as fast as you can (for speed-sakes) but you DONT want to transition so fast that you introduce noise and degrade signal integrity (noise = crashes).

Im only gonna GUESS here, but if _I_ were designing the NF2 NB, I would build in the ability to control the speed at which the output drivers transition from 1-0, 0-1 to give some flexibility to the board designers. I'd also build in the ability to alter the voltage level of the output drivers/input transition point., again for flexibility sakes.

The driving strength think of as a fine-adjust on the actual voltage that is output by the chips pins (and detected by the input pins as 0 or 1)

For DDR that is supposed to be....1.25V aka 2.5Vdimm divided in half, below 1.25V is a ZERO and above 1.25V is a ONE. So if an "8" on the scale corresponds to Vdimm/2 point, lowering it a bit drops the 0-1 transition point to below Vdimm/2, conversely raising it to higher than "8" raises the transition point a bit above Vdimm/2.

As I discovered in my Vtt experiments, CH5 and BH5 seem to like the "transition point" of 0-1 1-0 to be skewed DOWN a little from Vdimm/2. And these 6/7 Drivingstrength/Slewrate findings tend to reinforce that hypothesis. The slewrate being a little lower at higher FSB helps by introducing the LEAST possible noise at the 0-1 1-0 transitions while still being fast enough to achieve the FSB.

Again, this is all BLIND as without the tech reference I really have NO FKING idea what's going on, Im just trying to get in the NVidia designers head....assuming he had one, which is always ?-able :nod:

All I can say to NVIDIA... is give me the FKING book, and Ill be able to help us all hit the real absolute MAX this chipset can provide. Short of that we are doing our best flying blind.

it's impossible to make them stick if you adjust them outside the BIOS ...

this is because we are not changing the CMOS and the CMOS is loaded on every boot ...

Originally posted by trodas

I tried the version 0.25 and it still not seems to make the values stick by any way :( As soon as I reboot, they are gone.

Futhermore, they are still not helping me to get rid of the audioclicks I experiencing at poor 210Mhz FSB/66Mhz AGP (i suppose 33Mhz PCI then) while folding, typing, playing RealPlayer 2gold movie and some surfing... :(

tictac, if this is any use, I use Win2k SP3 - dunno if this help, but they have winnt directory and not windows - that is basicaly the difference...

I dubt there is any other differences by acessing the registers - except maybe that Im loged as administrator - could be :rolleyes:

I verified your tweaker tweaked the PCI latency well, up to 128 I tried, but the audioclicks are there still... :(

At least 8rdavcore verified the PCI latency I set into your tweaker... So it seems work, just the values not stick.

(and not help into my case :rolleyes: )

deception`` - maybe. Try. I got the same nasty problem. In 5+1 speaker set, all clicks are into the left speaker ONLY. Weird. Could be even a driver issue or something?! :rolleyes:

200Mhz working fine. 210+ - clicks. Damn.

I think is time to try - paradoxicaly - higher AGP (and therefore even PCI) clocks... :confused:

Originally posted by uwackme

All I can say to NVIDIA... is give me the FKING book, and Ill be able to help us all hit the real absolute MAX this chipset can provide. Short of that we are doing our best flying blind.

Hmm... has anyone tried calling them yet? :shake:

I'll try adjusting the pci latency when I get off work.

Next question....do the settings actually stick after a reboot or will that require another utility? I'm on a big fan of WPRSET ( I think that's how it's spelled).

deception``