Reinstall windows?

Hey all,

Once my new board arrives, I am not sure if I should format the harddrive and reinstall everything. I was using the same board (but will use a different processor this time) on this harddrive, and I would like to not have to reinstall everything. Maybe just the drivers. Thanks all.

I don´t think you should need to reinstall windows. I changed from NF7-S to Lanparty ultra B with no problems, because they are both NF2/same NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset.

Originally posted by jayl

I don´t think you should need to reinstall windows. I changed from NF7-S to Lanparty ultra B with no problems, because they are both NF2/same NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset.

Well, I reinstalled when I went from Asus (NF2) to DFI... but this time since I am going from exact same, I didnt know if it would be better to just start all over. what does everybody else think?

Going NF2 to NF2 doesnt require reinstall. You can always playit real safe and uninstall the drivers, boot to safemode, use drivercleaner2 to remove all NVidia traces.... then shutdown. Wake up on the new board and install the drivers again.

But ive switched between asus/abit/dfi without incident...repeatedly.

I don't think you NEED to re-install windoze either.

Gotta tell you though sometimes a nice clean fresh correctly done install of windows with a minimum of programs is just what you need to get that toaster.

gawd only knows what might be hanging out on those HDDs looking for sumthin to bork up. Never hurts. get one of those DVD/CD dealy things. :D

I've installed a couple thousand copies of XP and it only gets twitchy if you change 2 of the 4 major components at once(CPU, MOBO,HD, VID CARD) simultaneously, then it will refuse to boot. Thats why ya can't just ghost 50 hd's and use em in anything except clone machines like the oem's do.

Originally posted by soundx98

I don't think you NEED to re-install windoze either.

Gotta tell you though sometimes a nice clean fresh correctly done install of windows with a minimum of programs is just what you need to get that toaster.

gawd only knows what might be hanging out on those HDDs looking for sumthin to bork up. Never hurts. get one of those DVD/CD dealy things. :D

Well the thing is that the install was only about 2 weeks old (if that), and that got me a toaster... so thanks for the help guys! I will just put it all together, boot in winders and then uninstall all drivers (chipset and video i guess), then reinstall them (after reboot and Drivercleaner and all that crap). I am glad I dont have to reinstall MBM5 and everything else too! :) thanks.

You shouldn't nneed to uninstall and reinstall anything. If you are using all the same components there is no logical reason for you to HAVE to refomaqt or reinstall. Obviously it won't hurt anything if you do, but it is not necessary.

I agree, with the exact same board you don't need to do a reinstall. . . Personally I reinstall whenever I change MOBO's (except when they are identical) even if they are very similar. But you should be fine w/o a reinstall

Ok great, thanks guys. I will just leave as is, and if I have any probs, I will just reinstall all.

I was wondering which drivers to use for the chipset (NF2)... are the latest ones good for NF2 boards as well? Or are they mainly designed for the newer NF3 chipsets? Or does it matter? thanks guys.