Air Cpu Cooler Recommendations

Thanks for starting this topic, as it prompted some more research on my part

No problem. I learned plenty more than I thought I would as well. It was well worthwhile. I hope plenty of others benefit from it as well. For some dumb reason, the cooling aspect of a rig is often overlooked by most people as they race to get the fastest possible CPU, Motherboard, Video Card and other stuff. It's alot like the nitwits who put a kickass stereo and $2500 rims on a complete bomb of a car :rolleyes:

Edit: Check the Scythe USA website and on their comparison chart for good spec comparisons:

http://www.scythe-usa.com/support/support_...2/fan_spec.html

Edited by Rokkaholik

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently running an Antec 900 case with the fans on medium with the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2 board and a Q6600 at stock settings. For a cooler, I have the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with a Scythe S-Flex Fan mounted to it and Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. After running the OCCT program, I found my 4 cores to average 35-38 under idle and 58-61 at full load. I'd like to bring those numbers down a little, if not considerably.

I'm running a similat setup with a GA-EX38-DS4 overclocked to 3.019GHZ and my cores are 39,35,35,38 at idle and 60, 55,55,59 running Prime 95. I'm using a 120mm pull fan running a constant 1500 rpm and have two 120mm case fans one sucking and one blowing. I'm getting rock solid stability at 1.2625 volts. The VID on my cpu is 1.2750. This is my first attempt at overclocking the cpu and I haven't tried to fine tune it yet. I'm going to run this for a few days first. I would agree with others that you have a good cooler and I wouldn't mess with it unless you want to lap it or try to improve your thermal paste application. You didn't say what voltage you are running your cpu at so you could try dropping the voltage a bit- that will bring the temps down.

Edited by herk56

Quote "You didn't say what voltage you are running your cpu at so you could try dropping the voltage a bit- that will bring the temps down"

He said stock settings!

Edited by Warby35

Everything in the PC is stock settings. Slapped'er together and fired'er up. That was it B:) I may not even bother with overclocking now, but I'd still like to drop my temps.

I did get my new SATA Rom drives and shorter 6" SATA cables for my 3 hard drives today. All those are installed now and the wide IDE Ribbon is now gone. Hopefully that will help airflow a little ;)